Altair Engineering is seeking an experienced software technical writer to join the Altair technical documentation team. We’re looking for someone smart, energetic, and self-motivated who can collaborate effectively in a remote working environment. Critical skills for this position include solid experience documenting software user interfaces, strong technical and troubleshooting skills, and the ability to juggle multiple projects while meeting release deadlines. Deliverables include user guides, reference guides, tutorials, and API documentation in online and offline formats, as well as in-application user assistance and video.
As a senior technical writer, you will be responsible for creating and updating the technical documentation for a wide variety applications using help authoring tools such as Oxygen XML Author, RoboHelp, and Help & Manual. Key to success in this role is the ability to comprehend, analyze, and synthesize highly technical information. We need writers with the technical expertise to jump in and take charge of multiple documentation projects, and who have the independence and initiative to drive projects forward without constant oversight. You will work closely with product managers, subject matter experts, and the other members of the technical documentation team to create high-quality documentation. There will also be opportunities to learn and build skills relating to information architecture, user experience research, localization, and data analytics.
This particular position will focus primarily on our electronics line of products. Knowledge of electrical engineering and some experience with API documentation and LaTeX will be highly relevant and useful. The successful candidate will embrace new technologies and seek out innovative ways to improve our technical documentation.
What You Will Do
- Create and update online user guides, reference, guides, and tutorials using topic-based authoring techniques
- Interview subject matter experts and get hands-on with the software to document new features
- Write and edit tooltips, error messages, and other user interface text
- Work with product managers to create and edit help videos
- Manage tasks and deliverables using JIRA and Confluence
- Maintain source and output files in our content management system
- Contribute to cross-team documentation projects to continually improve our standards and processes
- Continually work to upgrade your skills through various training opportunities
- Pitch in and do whatever is needed to help the technical documentation team to meet its goals and deadlines
What You Will Need
- Bachelor’s degree in either technical writing or English (with strong technical skills), or a technical discipline (with strong writing skills)
- 5+ years of software technical writing experience and a strong portfolio of software technical writing projects
- Excellent technical writing and editing skills in English, with an eye for detail
- Experience writing and publishing both task-based and reference-based software documentation in a variety of formats
- Expertise with at least one single-source help authoring tool such as Oxygen XML Author, MadCap Flare, RoboHelp, etc.
- Experience using video editing software such as Camtasia and image editing software such as SnagIt
- Proficiency with content management systems such as Perforce or GitLab, as well as project management systems such as JIRA and Confluence
- Well-developed troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- A natural affinity for organizing projects and keeping track of details
- Familiar with the DITA help authoring standard and structured authoring principles
- Experience with LaTeX and editing of mathematical formulas
- Familiarity with electrical engineering domain
- Training in additional skill areas such as localization, information architecture, publishing, minimalism, usability testing, data analytics, and/or computer programming is desirable
- Experience working in a multicultural environment with non-native English speakers
Apply for job
To view the job application please visit phh.tbe.taleo.net.