Date: Jun 19, 2020
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, CA, V6E2M6 Darmstadt, DE, 64295
Ansys is the global leader in engineering simulation, helping the world’s most innovative companies deliver radically better products to their customers. By offering the best and broadest portfolio of engineering simulation software, Ansys helps companies solve the most complex design challenges and engineer products limited only by imagination.
New to the Ansys family, Lumerical offers a photonic simulation software which enables research and development professionals to predict how light behaves within complex structures, circuits, and systems. Photonics unlocks many possibilities for the world’s most innovative companies who increasingly rely on virtual prototyping to explore new product concepts and optimize designs. Our customers are developing the technology of tomorrow – things like LiDAR systems for autonomous cars, virtual reality headsets, cellphone cameras, communications equipment for data centers and new platforms for quantum computing.
As an R&D Engineer at Ansys, you will develop innovative solutions to challenging and industrially relevant problems, work independently to meet requirements using novel or existing numerical methods, and communicate solutions effectively. You will work with Engineering and Marketing project teams to develop and enhance product capabilities and with customers to help them achieve their goals using Ansys’s photonic design software. As a domain expert and key contributor to innovation at Ansys, you will also have the opportunity to showcase our advanced solvers and features to the broader photonics community through conferences and other events.
In this role, you will focus on developing and supporting features and solvers for photonic components and devices, with an emphasis on Maxwell’s equations. You will be part of an experienced R&D team committed to developing algorithms and solvers for a broad range of physical problems at multiple scales, where collaboration drives results. Success depends on strong analytical skill, experience with a broad range of numerical techniques for linear and non-linear problems, and the ability to make the connection between simulation and real-life.
- Assess feasibility and prototype solutions to confront industrially-relevant problems;
- With product development, implement new product capabilities by defining requirements and test cases, developing numerical models for physical simulation, and validating solutions;
- Document and communicate newly developed simulation methodologies via examples, whitepapers and presentations suitable for a broad range of audiences;
- Assist the customer support team on challenging support cases for strategic customers; and
- keep abreast of the latest developments in relevant numerical simulation methods.
- PhD in Electrical Engineering or Physics;
- Experience implementing numerical methods for discretizing and solving Maxwell’s equations in photonic devices;
- Programming experience with C++, MATLAB, and Python languages; and
- Excellent communication skills in written and spoken English.
- Experience using Lumerical’s simulation tools or other optical modeling tools for photonics applications;
- Experience in numerical methods and algorithms for optimization;
- Experience in software development for parallel computing; and
- Substantial contributions to large-scale/multi-developer software projects