Samtec, Inc., a $1B+ privately held, global electronic connector manufacturer in New Albany, Indiana, with high growth and a focus on emerging technology, is seeking a Mechanical Engineering Co-Op interested in working in a fast paced, non-bureaucratic environment. Our 5A1 rating by D&B is reflective in a rapid sales growth rate that outpaces the industry by 3-4 times annually and a virtually non-existent associate turnover rate. Samtec was also recognized as one of the Top 5 Places to Work in the Louisville Metro area, among some of the area’s most highly recognizable brands.
The co-op will work with various managers and areas within our engineering department in order to gain exposure to the different aspects of engineering. The position will be responsible for completing assigned projects, building trust within team members, maintaining customer focus, as well as initiating and following up on actions taken.
The ideal candidate for this position will have the ability to work with and take direction from senior engineers, be creative, passionate, and resourceful while taking initiative to explore new solutions to the issues they are presented with.
The student will be exposed to and expected to learn the basics in the many different technologies used at Samtec. These may include but are not limited to the following:
- 3D / Parametric part and tooling design
- Finite element analysis
- Plastic extrusion, injection molding, insert molding
- Progressive stamping of copper alloys and other metals
- Electroplating of precious and semi-precious metals
- Metallography, metrology, and statistical analysis
- Stress and force calculations
- Dimensional, electrical, and force analysis equipment
- Failure analysis including SEM, X-ray, etc.
- Reflow soldering
- Automated and hand assembly equipment and processes including those employing vision technology
- Signal integrity regarding high speed electrical signals and their application
- Rapid prototyping
- Student pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field
- Excellent Written and Verbal Communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well with a team
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Effective time management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects
- Eager to gain new expertise and quick to pick up required skills
- Demonstration of flexibility, innovation, customer service, and ability to create win/win solutions