What You Will Do:
The Exterior Lighting Design Release Engineer – will be responsible for working in a team environment in conjunction with a supplier team to design, develop and release automotive exterior lighting components from inception to production. Will be involved with current production components in addition to future development programs.
Responsibilities will include, but not limited to:
- Design vehicle lighting components from concept and prototype build levels to production, including characteristics from design rules, performance standards, functional objectives and Lessons Learned in other programs to fulfill all the engineering requirements.
- Develop statement of work/source package for the component supplier.
- Assess component suppliers to determine their technical competence to manufacture the component.
- Develop DFMEA’s to identify potential failure modes and DVP&Rs to ensure that functional objectives are met by the component design and validation is completed.
- Design the component for manufacturability and assembly, as well as work with other Product Engineers with interfacing components and systems.
- Deliver all functional and manufacturing aspects for the component.
- Gather, define, and carry out all required development/validation testing to ensure achievement of all functional objectives and assure compliance to program goals through the development of electronic Design Verification Plans (DVPs).
- Work closely with the chosen suppliers to ensure designs are robust to customer requirements, meet exact function, and can be manufactured without defect.
- Define and carry out all required bench development/validation testing to ensure achievement of all functional objectives and assure compliance to program goals.
- Participate in supplier assessments and post-test inspection reviews ensuring quality of the electronic circuit design performing analysis through different methodologies (Worst Case Analysis, FMEA, simulations, etc.) and recommend changes to product specifications as necessary.
- Lead / participate in issue resolution activities during development, vehicle launch, and/or warranty periods, technical coordination meetings and trips to supplier for component technical reviews.
- Evaluate and approve design changes and specifications.
- Support activities with corporate supplier quality and purchasing areas.
- Support corporate quality in the areas of assembly plant and field & warranty part return analysis to determine root cause and drive improvements.
- Some travel, including international travel, may be required.
- BS degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering from an ABET accredited university.
- 3 years plus related experience with mechanical engineering component design in lighting.
- Experience must include: Hardware electronic design, LEDs, printed circuit board expertise, experience in automotive electrical integration with CAN and LIN modules, design reviews, and validation capability for lighting modules and all lamp electronics.
- Strong foundation in electronic topics related to circuit design and devices.
- Basic understanding of electronics manufacturing and assembly processes.
- DVP&R, DFMEA, and specification creation and execution experience.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Understanding of electrical engineering standards/protocols, and of electronics/devices.
- Highly motivated and self-starter and able to work independently.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment.
- Able to switch quickly between different and numerous topics, strong self-initiative and a fast learner;
- Organizational and planning skills; written/verbal communications and presentation skills; Interpersonal skills able to confidently interact with individuals at all levels of authority.
- Previous involvement with Design for Manufacturing (DFM) topics.
- Hands-on exposure to electrical testing.
- MBA or Master of Science in Applied Physics, Mechanical, Electrical, Aerospace, Industrial, or Computer Engineering, or related Engineering field from an ABET accredited university.
- Passion for, interest in and hands on working knowledge of cars.
- Experience releasing components at an OEM or large Tier 1 company.
- Demonstrated experience in supplier management.
- International travel could be required.
Apply for job
To view the job application please visit phh.tbe.taleo.net.