Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/tsmc-sending-first-batch-of-300-people-on-charter-flight-to-phoenix.17086/page-2
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

TSMC sending first batch of 300 people on charter flight to Phoenix

The 1000 people mentioned in the news report are employees and their families. The actual number of TSMC staff is probably between 250 and 350.
I was wondering if the report was true. It had mentioned: "In the future, TSMC will have 6 chartered flights to send more than 1,000 Taiwanese engineers to Arizona."

Those TSMC employees and their families are either coming to US or coming "back" to US. It's hard to tell the distribution among them at this time. At one point there were 500+ TSMC US employees receiving training in Taiwan.

Thread 'TSMC has 500+ Engineers for AZ Fabs' https://semiwiki.com/forum/index.php?threads/tsmc-has-500-engineers-for-az-fabs.16202/
It would all make sense if these employees were explicitly hired for Arizona, not plucked out from established TW employees. In the latter case, you would have to replace them.

Those TSMC employees and their families are either coming to US or coming "back" to US. It's hard to tell the distribution among them at this time. At one point there were 500+ TSMC US employees receiving training in Taiwan.

Thread 'TSMC has 500+ Engineers for AZ Fabs' https://semiwiki.com/forum/index.php?threads/tsmc-has-500-engineers-for-az-fabs.16202/

The source says that majority of these employees are 30-40,married men. So I don't think they are those US fresh grads who send over to TW for training.

As a Taiwanese, I would like to put my two cents in

This is probably generating jealousy among the Mainlanders, for free people to travel around the world like this. Since it is so not what is happening in the Mainland.
This is probably generating no emotion among most Taiwanese

Is that right?I don't think you speak for the Taiwanese majority. Because from what I have heard on Taiwanese internet,this event is not well perceived among Taiwanese people at all.
The video you posted was from a pro-KMT (current opposition party) media outlet called "Chung T'ien"

It is the Taiwanese equivalent of Fox news, so take what they said with a grain of salt

By the way, there is another Taiwanese equivalent of Fox news for DPP (current incumbent party). It is like the pot calling the kettle black.

"red media" is not Taiwan. they don't have the best interests for Taiwanese.

both news sources belong to Want Want with deep ties to China.

Want Want is well know as "red media" in Taiwan. hell, Taiwanese even have a protest against "red media". and Chung T'ien Television got their broadcast license canceled in Taiwan.
Taiwan's politics is just as polarized as in the US

As for cancellation of Chung T'ien's broadcast license, it really didn't do anything different than other political media outlets, especially pro-DPP media outlet. I dare say it was just a political move

Is that right?I don't think you speak for the Taiwanese majority. Because from what I have heard on Taiwanese internet,this event is not well perceived among Taiwanese people at all.

This is just some example

Actually,all posts and videos relate to this event,there is overwhelmingly negative comments left by Taiwanese. Apparently,people in Taiwan see this as a threat.

These TSMC employees are not "traveling" to the US,they are "emigrating" to the US. They have brought family members and pets along with them,and their children are going to enroll in local school,the US government will also grant them citizenship. They are not going back to TW,they are there to stay,the US will be their new home.

Just curious - is the negative reaction (news) from other TSMC employees or is it more people outside of TSMC?

TSMC CEO Mark Liu:Taiwanese youth are scared of going out,that's the problem

Some companies asked about talent issues. Mark Liu said, "Taiwan's semiconductor industry does not have the problem of brain drain. You read in newspapers that TSMC sent 500 engineers to a new plant in the United States, but we have more than 50,000 engineers in Taiwan. Taiwan's talent is I'm afraid he won't go out, because it's too comfortable in Taiwan. Young people in Taiwan dare not go out, it's different from us in the 1970s and 1980s, this is Taiwan's problem."

I used to work for a chemical company with a branch in TW. The overseas folks would sometimes visit offices in AZ or NM, which is about a 20 hour flight from Taipai. 5 hours to Narita, 10 hours to LA, 5 hours to reach PHX or ABQ (due to customs and wait for flights). Unrestricted movement through free countries and states, routine.

vidmate.app stream videos

Back