Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/chip-shortage-in-autos-spreading-to-everything.13600/page-2
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Chip Shortage in Autos. Spreading to Everything?

It sounds to me like the automotive people will use this as an excuse for poor financial performance. A get out of jail free card.

Some people argue that the automotive chip shortage was become so worse not just because of poor planning by the car makers but also due to US export restrictions in Q4 2020 against SMIC. Apparently SMIC's mature process nodes were (also) heavily used for automotive chips. After the export restriction those customers tried to flock to TSMC, UMC, etc.

"One automaker moved chip production from China’s Semiconductor Manufacturing International, or SMIC, which was hit with U.S. government restrictions in December, to Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co in Taiwan, which in turn was overbooked, a person familiar with the matter told Reuters." (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-autos-tech-chips-focus-idUSKBN29K0GA)

What do you make of this?

Some people argue that the automotive chip shortage was become so worse not just because of poor planning by the car makers but also due to US export restrictions in Q4 2020 against SMIC. Apparently SMIC's mature process nodes were (also) heavily used for automotive chips. After the export restriction those customers tried to flock to TSMC, UMC, etc.

"One automaker moved chip production from China’s Semiconductor Manufacturing International, or SMIC, which was hit with U.S. government restrictions in December, to Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co in Taiwan, which in turn was overbooked, a person familiar with the matter told Reuters." (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-autos-tech-chips-focus-idUSKBN29K0GA)

What do you make of this?

That does not seem to be the case based on SMIC 2020 financials:

Attachments

• SMIC Q4_2020 Financials.pdf
    602 KB · Views: 139
I have read that the US defense department has it's own internal semiconductor supply to some degree. Daniel, can you shed any light on this? Is it only design, or do they have a full IDM chain?

Who is the US military reliant on for semiconductors?

I have read that the US defense department has it's own internal semiconductor supply to some degree. Daniel, can you shed any light on this? Is it only design, or do they have a full IDM chain?

IBM was the goto fab for the US Defense Department and they still are under GF ownership. The DoD is big on SOI and that is GF and Samsung so GF it is. I'm not sure if the DoD has fabs anymore. That is probably top secret - need to know stuff. Tom Clancy probably knows.

Other than those secret ones, you can find the foundry names and locations from the DoD's Trusted Foundry program list at the following link:

Back