Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/change-of-ceo-at-intel-announced.13601/page-2
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Change of CEO at Intel announced

Intel over past 7 years (yes, Swan along with BK's reign) significantly crippled Intel's integrated design and manufacturing duopoly. Without any change, Intel would have followed in the steps of AMD. With Pat returning; growing up and fully understanding the 'old' culture; with a stockpile of cash; Pat has some time to see if he can restart the duopoly that was so critical to Intel's fortunes.

In my opinion, anyone on the BoD that put Swan in as the permanent CEO of Intel, should be removed. Those BoD members did significant damage to Intel, their employees and (yes, even) shareholders. Very stupid decisions and knee jerk reaction (we need to do something now)...

Good backstory on the new Intel CEO:

I'm not so sure Pat's core strength is fab technology, though he is a very sharp guy and will at least bring a technology and product vision to a longtime rudderless ship. Maybe TSMC will bail them out and buy out their fabs? But worse, I'm not so sure he can so easily step back in and right the ship these days, with a management network of posers and toadies that Krczanich wove deeply into a once technocratic culture.

I'm not so sure Pat's core strength is fab technology, though he is a very sharp guy and will at least bring a technology and product vision to a longtime rudderless ship. Maybe TSMC will bail them out and buy out their fabs? But worse, I'm not so sure he can so easily step back in and right the ship these days, with a management network of posers and toadies that Krczanich wove deeply into a once technocratic culture.
But I believe Pat will understand the tightly coupled Design (which he was over) and Fabrication to get devices that are required. So he can dig in much deeper than Swan or even BK and able to ferret out problem people and replace them quickly before more damage....but time will tell.

No question, Pat is several 'rungs' above Swan's capabilities...

But I believe Pat will understand the tightly coupled Design (which he was over) and Fabrication to get devices that are required. So he can dig in much deeper than Swan or even BK and able to ferret out problem people and replace them quickly before more damage....but time will tell.

No question, Pat is several 'rungs' above Swan's capabilities...
Is Pat allowed to have enough time to rebuild Intel to prove the pure IDM model is a winning strategy?

Intel's major customers won't wait for that because they want to use fabless model to control their own destiny. Intel's competitors definitely won't stand still either because they already saw the strength, possibilities, and profit the fabless model has brought to them.

Last edited:

Let's hope so.
In that article:

"As the soon-to-be former CEO of VMware, virtualisation is another area that Gelsinger is no doubt proficient in. This proficiency is likely to come in handy in the years to come, as the report claimed that virtualisation is likely to take off in the near future. "

It's odd. Virtualization has been around and prosperous for a while. In a way the wide adoption of cloud computing is the proof of that. Is the author just coming back from a 10-year vacation?

Back