Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/young-people-in-the-us-are-attracted-to-it-not-semiconductor-is-understandable.18633/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Young people in the US are attracted to IT not semiconductor is understandable

tonyget

Semiconductor’s job has much higher work load(especially work in fab) and lower pay,compare to IT industry. Yong people are naturally attracted to IT companies,fabs will have a difficult time to attract talent in the forseeable future.

The double life of a Gen Z Google software engineer earning six figures who says he works 1 hour a day​

I don't think it is even comparable. At least some areas of EE are closer to blue collar than IT. And I know few people which are deciding what they want to do and majority goes into blue collar.

Training time is in weeks instead of years so cost of choosing wrong career is much lower. No debt. And actually decent salary.

Majority of people I know do not want to go into blue collar. We are talking about people with engineering degrees who get poached into software engineering jobs. We are not talking about people who go into trade school

Fortune doesn't delve too much into whether Devin's code was good or not. I suspect it was good. Which is why they are keeping him. Good coders are rare.

It's a new world out there for sure. Good coders are the shelf space the tech monpolies like Google deny to others.

With more competition, it wouldn't happen. The root cause is, Google is a monpoly, and this is how monopolies operate.

IT companies from outside looking in , seem to have a lot of positions which mirror the banks , which wouldnt actually have anything IT related.

So there is that flexibility also.

Disturbing. Occasionally I meet with VCs and marketing people. They are almost all a bunch of clowns. Unprepared for meetings, no research, no knowledge, etc.

I would love to get the opinion of @blueone . He was an executive at some of the semies

As far as monopolies, there is no hope for competition as the inflation rate and regulations continue to increase. Existing companies have the advantage.

This thread is not based on data, it is entirely opinion and the evidence anecdotal, so I'm not sure how to respond.

At the national level, fabs in the US represent in total a small field to be employed in. Even Intel with its Oregon and Arizona fabs is not a huge employer for people in manufacturing, compared to the number employed in chip design, software engineering fields, customer solution engineering jobs (which all of the chip companies have many of), project management and general management... there are more examples. Working in chip manufacturing in the US is not a big draw for EEs because there aren't many opportunities as a percentage of the total EE job market, chip manufacturing companies in general have a lousy reputation on Reddit, Glassdoor, etc, and I've never talked to a young EE whose dream it was to work in a fab. On the other hand, if you're a chemical engineer, a chemist with an advanced degree, a materials scientist, an applied physicist, or some specialties in mechanical engineering, what's a better choice than chip manufacturing? Defense companies? I haven't heard great things about General Dynamics or Raytheon, but getting US Top Secret clearance (which is not easy) can be an interesting career move if you're willing to make sacrifices up front (and you're a US citizen).

I didn't see a lot of EE poaching for software when I was working, but I'm getting out of date. I have met several BSEEs who later got an MSCS and went into software, but that's not really poaching. Most of the people I've talked to who did that got an MSCS because once they graduated and were doing EE work they didn't like it as much as they thought they would when they chose the major.

Back