Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/yale-engineering-deans-invited-speaker-series-featuring-c-c-wei-ceo-tsmc.19660/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Yale Engineering Dean's Invited Speaker Series featuring C.C. Wei, CEO, TSMC

I thought many of the questions were broad and shallow and thus did not get as much insights as I was hoping for. A couple of key observations:

1) C.C. Wei noted that Roger Haken of TI was a key mentor of his and described his working style.
2) He went on a side digression (jokingly) about how he wants his managers to be married because it illustrates personal maturity and management. A US based CEO can’t/wouldn’t say that today.
3) He was very explicit about not talking about China.

Yale has an engineering program?
Yes, for longer than any other university in the US. Wikipedia says: "In 1863, J. Willard Gibbs received the first Doctorate of Philosophy (PhD) in engineering granted in the US, for a thesis entitled "On the Form of the Teeth of Wheels in Spur Gearing", in which he used geometrical techniques to investigate the optimum design for gears. In 1861, Yale had become the first US university to offer a PhD degree and Gibbs's was only the fifth PhD granted in the US in any subject."

2) He went on a side digression (jokingly) about how he wants his managers to be married because it illustrates personal maturity and management. A US based CEO can’t/wouldn’t say that today.

This is in TSMC’s Commitment Value “TSMC is dedicated to serving their best interests. In return, TSMC hopes all these stakeholders will make a mutual commitment to the Company.”

TSMC expects their manager’s commitment and sacrifice to the company to be second to none. They say TSMC employees give their liver. Managers give even more! The expectation of manger in hours and abuse both receiving and giving is something else. A manager that is married means he has deep commitment and obligations to others that makes it more secure that he will take and dispense necessary abuse for the success of the company. A single person of deep values will question the moral and value of this and just for more money and pride is that enough? But if married and has family a person will sacrifice far more of his value and humanity for the company. A really good system for the customers and the company.

Last edited:
This is in TSMC’s Commitment Value “TSMC is dedicated to serving their best interests. In return, TSMC hopes all these stakeholders will make a mutual commitment to the Company.”

TSMC expects their manager’s commitment and sacrifice to the company to be second to none. They say TSMC employees give their liver. Managers give even more! The expectation of manger in hours and abuse both receiving and giving is something else. A manager that is married means he has deep commitment and obligations to others that makes it more secure that he will take and dispense necessary abuse for the success of the company. A single person of deep values will question the moral and value of this and just for more money and pride is that enough? But if married and has family a person will sacrifice far more of his value and humanity for the company. A really good system for the customers and the company.

There are many ways to view the ideas CC Wei mentioned. We can put it into a microscope and examine it like a court proceeding to find out the weaknesses. But please remember CC Wei was talking to a room of fellow Yale's students who are 40 to 50 years younger than him. He has to adjust his tone and content accordingly.

To me, a marriage can help a person to practice lots of things. There are budgeting, communication, scheduling, negotiation, persuasion, perceptions, expectations, execution, setbacks, and lots of disappointments.

I remember my first Valentine day with my wife many years ago. She suggested that we can buy a box of chocolate to celebrate it. I told her we should wait until next day when the stores start big discount to clear out those chocolates. You probably can guess what was the outcome. How SMART I was!!

There are many ways to view the ideas CC Wei mentioned. We can put it into a microscope and examine it like a court proceeding to find out the weaknesses. But please remember CC Wei was talking to a room of fellow Yale's students who are 40 to 50 years younger than him. He has to adjust his tone and content accordingly.

To me, a marriage can help a person to practice lots of things. There are budgeting, communication, scheduling, negotiation, persuasion, perceptions, expectations, execution, setbacks, and lots of disappointments.

I remember my first Valentine day with my wife many years ago. She suggested that we can buy a box of chocolate to celebrate it. I told her we should wait until next day when the stores start big discount to clear out those chocolates. You probably can guess what was the outcome. How SMART I was!!
I would expect you had winning face the other day, but could be miserable years later if you keep the same mind set of missing time value of products. lol. Just kidding! Best Wish for your family.

I would expect you had winning face the other day, but could be miserable years later if you keep the same mind set of missing time value of products. lol. Just kidding! Best Wish for your family.

Tank you for your blessing. That was a lifelong learning experience. Certain things in the life that is worth nothing to argue about, either at home or at work. When the wife tells you to buy a box of chocolate, just buy it.

I found it humorous that CC said the reason he bring manufacturing fabs to US is talent. And the reputation of the Yale, Harvard, MIT and Stanford’s … blah blah blah and the quality of the Yale students of course !!!

It is true Taiwan is a small island and the demand for the hard working trained talent is dry and US is huge > 10x more population and sure the schools are far better and maybe the creativity of the students.

The reality the tier 1 student would die at TSMC. Either one or all of the culture, the work hours the work style and compensation structure all won’t attract the tier one talent. It is a good story but reality of the high attrition and failure of integration and culture clash of Az and WA TSMC are well known by those in the know.

As good as it is the pay, prestige isn’t enough draw the best US talent compared to the TSMC pay and prestige in Taiwan. Apple, Tesla, Nvidia, AMD, Google … and others have far higher attraction and to boot the manufacturing job is hard and tedious and management style won’t attract any of this talent.

Semiconductor Manufacturing excellence at the leading edge is hard, long and mind numbing. Morris speaks the truth, unless the leadership at the Az fab has a radical change in culture they will neither attract nor retain the little remaining US talent CC talks about. Everything I hear of anything there is no westernization of culture or any western style managers at Az

The fab is here for politics even the location was driven by politics. It wasn’t pressured it was “encouraged”.

Last edited:
I found it humorous that CC said the reason he bring manufacturing fabs to US is talent. And the reputation of the Yale, Harvard, MIT and Stanford’s … blah blah blah and the quality of the Yale students of course !!!

It is true Taiwan is a small island and the demand for the hard working trained talent is dry and US is huge > 10x more population and sure the schools are far better and maybe the creativity of the students.

The reality the tier 1 student would die at TSMC. Either one or all of the culture, the work hours the work style and compensation structure all won’t attract the tier one talent. It is a good story but reality of the high attrition and failure of integration and culture clash of Az and WA TSMC are well known by those in the know.

As good as it is the pay, prestige isn’t enough draw the best US talent compared to the TSMC pay and prestige in Taiwan. Apple, Tesla, Nvidia, AMD, Google … and others have far higher attraction and to boot the manufacturing job is hard and tedious and management style won’t attract any of this talent.

Semiconductor Manufacturing excellence at the leading edge is hard, long and mind numbing. Morris speaks the truth, unless the leadership at the Az fab has a radical change in culture they will neither attract nor retain the little remaining US talent CC talks about. Everything I hear of anything there is no westernization of culture or any western style managers at Az

The fab is here for politics even the location was driven by politics. It wasn’t pressured it was “encouraged”.

"Everything I hear of anything there is no westernization of culture or any western style managers at Az"

I am wondering if this above idea is always a winning strategy? TSMC or any multi-national companies (such as Toyota and Honda) need to consider their own circumstance and build their own unique corporate culture in US. In the TSMC case, it needs to pick and choose the best practice from Taiwan, Japan, Germany, and US to build a culture best for the US (or Arizona) operations.

The reality is that people who don't fit into the TSMC culture or don't like the way TSMC conducts its business will leave. They might be talented but TSMC is not a right place for their career. TSMC needs to take time to build a new culture and new policy at Arizona and find the right employee from US and beyond.

Last edited:
Back