Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/with-new-technologies-will-crossbar-phase-change-memory-become-viable.20220/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

With new technologies will Crossbar phase change memory become viable?

There is work still being done in this area, any information on where it might go would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.
I think a 4F^2 DRAM is more likely than a crossbar new memory type. It is the same form factor, but much easier to design for, as well as cheaper materials.

Last edited:
There is work still being done in this area, any information on where it might go would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.
I give updates on this every year and the market. Phase change and crosspoint memories do not show any significant revenue for the next 5-10 years. Our model is that 3D DRAM is the next big thing. faster NVM is not really a large market and Existing MRAM and RRAM cover it. Chiplets changes the needs and boundaries for multiple memories,, I will have detailed markets numbers and costs at FMS 2024 In August.

The Optane/3Dxpoint program provided case study for why these ideas dont work. I did a bunch of presentations in 2021-22 on this.

now ... more than ever: the future of NAND is NAND, The Future of DRAM is DRAM

Back