Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/will-we-ever-be-safe-on-the-internet.6451/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Will we ever be safe on the internet?

JustDave

I just found a website I thought I would share that details the world's biggest data hacks. As you can see they are growing in size and frequency. I don't really give a darn what people do in their personal life but the IRS hack has me seriously worried. I file electronically through an accountant so my financial records are out there big time. And god dammit I bank with Chase and I didn't even know about that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As a semiconductor guy I can't believe it has come to this. Why isn't security a bigger issue in silicon and WTF are the embedded software people thinking???????

World's Biggest Data Breaches & Hacks | Information Is Beautiful

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that is a lot of breaches. Before SemiWiki went online I attended a security seminar and was blown away by all of the things one must consider for even a simple website. Thankfully we do not do financial transactions or have coveted personal information other than an email addresses but we still do get hack attempts. Security software upgrades come on a regular basis and our cloud provider is constantly on alert.

Honestly the only solution I see here is restricting your digital paper trail. The Millennial generation (my kids) don't really get this in my opinion. I have always told them not to put anything on the internet that they do not want their parents/inlaws or future employers to know because there is no way to fully delete it. But of course they still do......

My credit card company is Chase Visa, and they have issued me three cards in the past 12 months because of security concerns. The latest card has an embedded chip, aimed at making this credit card more secure than a magnetic stripe card. Time will tell.

My credit card company is Chase Visa, and they have issued me three cards in the past 12 months because of security concerns. The latest card has an embedded chip, aimed at making this credit card more secure than a magnetic stripe card. Time will tell.

Welcome to the 21st century. This has proven itself in (most of) Europe where all credit cards have an embedded chip. Some banks ask here extra insurance if one wants to use one's credit card in countries still accepting magnetic stripe payments.

Welcome to the 21st century. This has proven itself in (most of) Europe where all credit cards have an embedded chip. Some banks ask here extra insurance if one wants to use one's credit card in countries still accepting magnetic stripe payments.

Yes I have a new credit card with a chip but most readers here in the US do not use it yet. I noticed most places in Taiwan have chip readers. That does not make us safe online however. We have gotten a new credit card pretty much every year for the last 5 years due to security breaches. Hopefully our latest card with a chip in it will be more secure.

Is regulation coming that does not allow the storage of our credit card purchases by online retailers? Or at least require it to be encrypted?

That does not make us safe online however.

Also for on-line payments the chip is used. We have a reader where you have to put in numbers and then the reply number has to be put on the website before you can do a payment.

[h=2]"Will we ever be safe on the internet?"[/h]No :D

Back