Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/will-the-chinese-duplicate-and-build-alternatives-to-banned-western-tech.18768/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Will the Chinese Duplicate and Build Alternatives to banned Western Tech?

Arthur Hanson

After doing research on the Chinese tech sector, it looks like they are determined to build alternative technologies and copy others on their own. Does the SemiWiki community think they will have success in this area and ever be able to build their own support industry for semi fabrication. Any thoughts, comments or additions sought and welcome. Even the plans for the first nuclear weapons were stolen in just months after inception.

After doing research on the Chinese tech sector, it looks like they are determined to build alternative technologies and copy others on their own. Does the SemiWiki community think they will have success in this area and ever be able to build their own support industry for semi fabrication. Any thoughts, comments or additions sought and welcome. Even the plans for the first nuclear weapons were stolen in just months after inception.

It won't be successful if it's measured by the normal business or economic standards. But it can be a success for the pride of CCP and some weaponry manufacturing capability.

To begin with, a successful semiconductor industry needs innovations and creativity. But innovations and creativity need an environment that respects the freedom of thought and freedom of speech. Both are rare items under CCP's doctrines.

Can China do it all?

correct me if I'm wrong but I remember reading somewhere that South Korea has been trying to replace chemicals used for chip making from Japan for years and their homemade chemicals are not on par even lower quality compared to Japan.

does this mean China not only has to make the machine, software, and now chemicals?

The CCP can do what they like in China.

Can even mandate everyone have to buy Chinese manufactured product and have it a jailable offence to use foreign products.

Such is life , what impact should they achieve it , who knows. Just that as pointed out in 1st reply , their environment doesnt lend itself to innovation. On a smaller scale we have it here in Singapore , its a very hard mindset to break "try and try again" & "fall down and get back up" are not part of the psyche in East Asia.

correct me if I'm wrong but I remember reading somewhere that South Korea has been trying to replace chemicals used for chip making from Japan for years and their homemade chemicals are not on par even lower quality compared to Japan.
There are two aspects of this - talent, and market opportunity.

I have no doubt that Korea - and China - have the talent to reinvent many of the foundational elements of the semi ecosystem. However, if your customer can simply go and buy from Japan, and the Japanese supplier has depreciated costs and solid IP plus trade secrets and practice, then even a talented team has the prospects of possibly years of losses as they try to establish themselves. Many of the ecosystem elements are relatively small businesses which have become very sophisticated and near-perfect over decades. You can't simply retrace that history while making a profit. Smart people look for other things to do.

But if the potential customers fear actual or potential isolation from suppliers, now you have a different situation. You might be prepaid or have access to government subsidies. In an embargo system some of those customers may be willing to give you advice which should have been confidential, as they want you to ensure suppliers skip over problems that might not be obvious at the beginning. In other words, the task is still difficult but the payoff is much better, so now those equivalently smart people will solve problems that they would walk away from in an open market.

Back