Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/why-i-think-samsung-invested-in-ionq-qc-company-for-the-interconnect-technology.12023/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Why I think Samsung invested in IonQ QC company for the interconnect technology

S

smeyer0028

Samsung Venture Fund has just invested in a quantum computer (QC) start up in Maryland called IonQ. Here is one story:

IonQ is interesting because its QCs are large and use well understood trapped ion cold atom physics. IonQ's QCs work because each qbit is maybe 10cm by 10cm (my guess at package size needed for the write and read lasers). This means that most QC algorithms that assume millions of qbits using semiconductor etching are not usable.

Here is IonQ chief scientist's Stanford physics lecture:

I think quantum computers are really just analog computer because the 1 to 2 percent error rate in current quantum computers is inherent. It is explained by Niels Bohr complementarity. Atomic behavior can be calculated at the macro level using Newton plus specially relativity or using quantum theory at the micro level. Calculations are not the same and there is no reason to expect them to agree to more than a few percent accuracy. Feynman in his Lectures Vol. 1 lecture 37 section 37.2 put it this way.

"Things on a very small scale behave like nothing that you have any direct experience about. They do not behave like waves, they do not behave like particles, they do not behave like clouds, or billiard balls, or weights on springs, or like anything that you have ever seen."

IonQ technology comes from cold atom accurate clocks. I think Samsung who obviously employees good physicists knows QCs are problematic. I also think the reason Samsung investment is for IonQ's small dimension better atomic dimension interconnect technology that will be needed from server computer future large numbers of chiplets and very fast Pcie 4 channels.
I am not sure if it appropriate to reference my blog (www.against-ai-and-formalism.com)). It discusses IonQ QCs and why QCs are just analog computers in more detail.

Back