You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Who's buying Fairchild?

Pawan Fangaria

Latest news I am hearing about Fairchild's acquisition is that China Resources Holdings Co. along with some others has made an offer of $21.7 per share of Fairchild.

View attachment 16030

Earlier ON Semiconductor had offered $20 per share of Fairchild which amounted to a total of $2.4 billion. Another suitor for Fairchild was Infineon. There may be more.

So finally who's buying this child and who should buy?

Daniel Nenni

Admin
Staff member
China is serious about the semiconductor business. There is a much bigger story here, especially with TSMC building a leading edge fab in China. I hope ON Semi is successful here. I would hate to see semiconductor history leave the United States.

Definitely an interesting company. Heavy on analog, AMS, power management, sensors and discretes which is not a bad place to be these days (just ask TI). Don't know so much about market share. TI has gobbled up a lot of that but Fairchild could be an interesting starting point for a company want to build a base of analog/power expertise.

Pawan Fangaria

Fairchild is as old as TI, and is one among initiators of semiconductor transistors and ICs with Robert Noyce leading the very first team. It's a matter of time how business turns the fortune of a company.

It was merged with National Semiconductor and then again spun-off from there. National merged with TI. Fairchild still remains independent, what happens tomorrow is to be seen.