[ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Who's buying Fairchild?

Pawan Fangaria

Latest news I am hearing about Fairchild's acquisition is that China Resources Holdings Co. along with some others has made an offer of $21.7 per share of Fairchild.

View attachment 16030

Earlier ON Semiconductor had offered $20 per share of Fairchild which amounted to a total of $2.4 billion. Another suitor for Fairchild was Infineon. There may be more.

So finally who's buying this child and who should buy?

China is serious about the semiconductor business. There is a much bigger story here, especially with TSMC building a leading edge fab in China. I hope ON Semi is successful here. I would hate to see semiconductor history leave the United States.

Definitely an interesting company. Heavy on analog, AMS, power management, sensors and discretes which is not a bad place to be these days (just ask TI). Don't know so much about market share. TI has gobbled up a lot of that but Fairchild could be an interesting starting point for a company want to build a base of analog/power expertise.

Fairchild is as old as TI, and is one among initiators of semiconductor transistors and ICs with Robert Noyce leading the very first team. It's a matter of time how business turns the fortune of a company.

It was merged with National Semiconductor and then again spun-off from there. National merged with TI. Fairchild still remains independent, what happens tomorrow is to be seen.

Back