Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/what-does-actually-apple-watch-do.5695/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

What does actually Apple Watch do?

astilo

View attachment 13570

Apple's first wearable gadget beams messages, Facebook updates and simplified apps to our wrists, eliminating the all-too-common need to take out our devices to constantly check notifications.
But unfortunately, that's pretty much it.

To make a good use of it, you must still pocket the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 or the even bigger 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus in your jeans.
So, since I do not own an Iphone, I'm not going to buy an IWatch either.
Just don't expect any Android phone, new or old, to ever work with the Apple Watch. Android Wear can't connect to Apple's devices, and I don't expect Apple to return the favor.

Apple-made apps demoed so far include iMessages, Health, Calendar, Weather, Mail, Photos, Camera's shutter button, Music and Passbook (which now includes Apple Pay) and even Apple Maps for navigation.
Anyway, since I have to bring with me also the Iphone, what's the point of using a tiny display to do that?
Most of the health and fitness operations can be performed already with the Iphone.
To make this even easier to understand:
All Apple Watch apps and settings are organized within a single iPhone companion app that's already here as part of newly launched iOS 8.2, and no this smartwatch container app can't be deleted.

About the battery life:
Tim Cook has promised 18 hours of a typical day, which technically does sync with his comments that it can be "worn all day" and is something that's "simple to charge at night."This number is based on an Apple Watch being paired with an iPhone and used for 90 time checks, 90 notifications, 45 minutes of app use and a 30-minute workout with music playback via Bluetooth.
By comparison, the Moto 360, LG G Watch and Samsung Gear Live last about a full day and newer Android Wear watches ASUS ZenWatch, Sony SmartWatch 3 and LG G Watch R go a day and a half.

For a full review, please, visit:
Apple Watch release date, price and features: Apple Watch faces, compatibility and competition | Wearables News | TechRadar

Last edited:
Yep, seems to lack the killer app but maybe the connectivity is the point. My wife hates when anyone else who happens to be driving answers their phone but meantime as soon as she hears her phone she's digging through her purse ....while driving.... like a mad man. Yep, not logical but who knows.

Engineer

What does Rolex,Burberry,Moldova watches do ? Apple is targeting the luxury fashion market first to establish a beach head and upscale branding of wearable gadgets.
The same argument can be made for android vs iPhone i.e. what does the iPhone do that android phones can't do. The stock market is siding with Apple.
View attachment 13570

Apple's first wearable gadget beams messages, Facebook updates and simplified apps to our wrists, eliminating the all-too-common need to take out our devices to constantly check notifications.
But unfortunately, that's pretty much it.

To make a good use of it, you must still pocket the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 or the even bigger 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus in your jeans.
So, since I do not own an Iphone, I'm not going to buy an IWatch either.
Just don't expect any Android phone, new or old, to ever work with the Apple Watch. Android Wear can't connect to Apple's devices, and I don't expect Apple to return the favor.

Apple-made apps demoed so far include iMessages, Health, Calendar, Weather, Mail, Photos, Camera's shutter button, Music and Passbook (which now includes Apple Pay) and even Apple Maps for navigation.
Anyway, since I have to bring with me also the Iphone, what's the point of using a tiny display to do that?
Most of the health and fitness operations can be performed already with the Iphone.
To make this even easier to understand:
All Apple Watch apps and settings are organized within a single iPhone companion app that's already here as part of newly launched iOS 8.2, and no this smartwatch container app can't be deleted.

About the battery life:
Tim Cook has promised 18 hours of a typical day, which technically does sync with his comments that it can be "worn all day" and is something that's "simple to charge at night."This number is based on an Apple Watch being paired with an iPhone and used for 90 time checks, 90 notifications, 45 minutes of app use and a 30-minute workout with music playback via Bluetooth.
By comparison, the Moto 360, LG G Watch and Samsung Gear Live last about a full day and newer Android Wear watches ASUS ZenWatch, Sony SmartWatch 3 and LG G Watch R go a day and a half.

For a full review, please, visit:
Apple Watch release date, price and features: Apple Watch faces, compatibility and competition | Wearables News | TechRadar

It is a matter of taste. And probably the Iwatch could be everything you want, but not a watch. Try to use it on a swimming pool, or forget to charge it even for a single night. If you just want something fashion and pricey, buy a golden wristband at this point.
You can also get the Apple word on it made by diamonds, if that´s what you are looking for.
I was talking about the technology gadget, not sure about the jewelry piece.

As an AAPL shareholder I hope that the Apple Watch sells well and drives up the stock price, however as an Android phone user I'm not compelled to switch to an iPhone + Apple Watch combination at any price. I agree that people looking to add another status symbol or live the life of geeky luxury will be the first in line to buy this device.

Hi Daniel, probably it will still sell well (plenty of Apple fanboys out there) :) I wish all the AAPL shareholders the best, moreover since I have nothing to lose. But I do not think this gizmo is going to change the world as the Iphone did.

I will buy one if only to be a "beta" tester. Interesting question though, quite a few of the places I go (fabs etc...) take our phones for security reasons. Will they start taking our watches too? My wife has already said no iWatches in bed. She takes my phone too. :cool:

Did anyone think the iphone would change the world? I really don't remember. I sure know the projection for iTunes and the music player were very modest.

I've been thinking more about this since yesterday. How would using the watch for anv impact battery life on the phone?

Fred P,

The Apple Watch communicates with the iPhone either by Bluetooth or WiFi, so yes in that sense there is some battery impact on the iPhone having both of those features turned on.

Astilo,

We've had digital watches around since the 1970s, so in that sense Apple is very late to this market and the Apple Watch may turn out to be another short-lived product like the Newton (Personal Digital Assistant that never really understood handwriting). On the other hand I just read that Elmar Mock a Swatch watch co-inventor expects Apple Watch to reach volumes of 20-30 million units in the first year, causing the Swiss watch market to enter an Ice Age.

The most important task the watch can do is gather medical data for research. Stanford said they got the same number of subjects for a study in three days what it would take fifty institutions a year to get. The watch is probably the best way to gather big data for processing. As functionality is improved this may bring about some tremendous medical advances. For all other purposes, it is a work in progress. Like they say the leader is the one with arrows in his back, in this case it's the one with arrows in their wallet.

Arthur is correct, the potential for medial research is quite compelling, although we could use some standardization and openness to include the Android platform as well for this ecosystem to really get adopted widely and change the world.

The most important task the watch can do is gather medical data for research. Stanford said they got the same number of subjects for a study in three days what it would take fifty institutions a year to get. The watch is probably the best way to gather big data for processing. As functionality is improved this may bring about some tremendous medical advances. For all other purposes, it is a work in progress. Like they say the leader is the one with arrows in his back, in this case it's the one with arrows in their wallet.

Exactly, the iWatch is for people like myself who want to improve the quality of life for ourselves, our children and grandchildren. It is a tiny investment considering the possible outcomes.

I fear you "Daniels" will be quite disappointed then...
Do wristband heart trackers actually work? A checkup. - CNET
The Apple watch probably won’t capture the real-time heart rate data fitness geeks crave – Quartz

Finally
[h=2]What sensors does the Apple Watch have?[/h]The Apple watch has a couple of different sensors, including a gyroscope and an accelerometer.
There’s also a custom sensor that uses visible-light and infrared LEDs along with photodiodes on the back of the device, which determines your heart rate.
The accelerometer will allow the watch to count your steps. It will extrapolate distance on its own, or rely on the GPS in the paired iPhone to trace your exact route. The step data will then be used by the Activity and Workout apps included on the Watch.
According to reports, the Apple Watch was originally intended to have more advanced health features with additional sensors, but manufacturing issues and reliability problems meant that Apple was forced to leave sensors including blood pressure sensors out of the smartwatch.

Astillo, the Apple watch is just a first step, just like the numerous Android watches. The first cell phone I carried was a satchel that weighed a few pounds, cost my company a lot to buy and huge per minute charge. The current smart watches of all types are just the first step and that's how all journeys begin. Monitoring health 24/7/365 over large numbers will dramatically change the pace and quality of medical research, current exams are like looking at a problem through a straw. Ways to shield privacy will have to be developed.

Astillo, the Apple watch is just a first step, just like the numerous Android watches. The first cell phone I carried was a satchel that weighed a few pounds, cost my company a lot to buy and huge per minute charge. The current smart watches of all types are just the first step and that's how all journeys begin. Monitoring health 24/7/365 over large numbers will dramatically change the pace and quality of medical research, current exams are like looking at a problem through a straw. Ways to shield privacy will have to be developed.

I 100% agree Arthur. So, why should I buy it now? I do not want to be Apple beta tester and even worse I do not want to pay to do that.
That said, I´m not blaming people who want to buy it, just sharing my opinions. And while 400$ are not that much, to me they are still too much for it.

The first phone you carried, was probably one of the first mobile phones available, and you could call people from "everywhere". That was amazing.
The iWatch is not for sure the first smart watch out there, and you cannot do anything unique with it (moreover because we all pretty much already own a smartphone).

If it helps make multitasking more efficient( Irony realized) it might be useful. These days lots of people pull out their phones a few hundred times a day. If the watch cuts that number, for some it will be a significant change. I’m not one of them, at least not yet but then I’m not 21.

As I have posted earlier with back up links, there are worn sensors that can predict a heart attack two weeks in advance in time to prevent it. From friends bills this usually ranges from 150k to 250k just for the first hospital stay and then goes up from their. I have very substantial investments in medical technology and as I have repeatedly said, medical will be the largest single market for semis. This will be for performance for the young and care for the old. It is said the current younger generation if they take care of themselves will have a life span of 100 Years. This will change everything for it will upset the financial system completely for actuarial tables used in every facet of finance will get blown up and these are part of the foundation of the medical system. They can also be used to extend the useful/productive years of our lives substantially. This change will pose many challenges for society and the tech sector will more than ever have to take responsibility for also figuring out how to reconfigure the ecosystem of our society to deal with this or the repercussions could make war look like a picnic in the park.

Arthur, could you walk us through your estimates on the medical market for semiconductors? I have always thought this would be a small market so I have missed something.

Fred, I've written on this before, so I'll give a quick view. World medical market at north of 5(some figures say 7 trillion, but I like to be conservative) trillion if the semi industry can capture just three percent that makes it 150 billion dollar market with the whole semi market now at 300 billion. There is some overlap now but that would still make it the single largest market for semis. Gong into detail would take time. The medical market is growing because of increased population, wealth and age. Which is higher your medical cost or cell phone bill? I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back