Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/what-are-your-thoughts-on-gigaphoton.11195/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

What are your thoughts on Gigaphoton?

jaiyam

Gigaphoton is a maker of Excimer lasers for DUV lithography. They have also been developing an EUV aligner and gave an impressive talk at Photonics West in 2017. They have a 60% market share in excimer laser market for DUV and seem to be competing against ASML and its subsidiary Cymer.
I am a Ph.D. student and would like to apply to this company for a job. I would like to hear from industry experts what they think of this company and whether this would be a good place to work. It is strange that they have such a dominant share of ArF/KrF laser market but they do not get as much attention as ASML. I will appreciate any comments.

It's not an apples to apples comparison between ASML and Gigaphoton. Gigaphoton just makes the light source whereas ASML integrates it into the scanner. And of course, ASML has its own light source subsidiary now (Cymer).

Gigaphoton is also a Japanese-run company, so you likely will need to learn their culture a bit in order to advance in the company.

I did notice that they currently have 0 job openings, so your only hope is to have a contact within the company to recommend you personally to a hiring manager.

All the best in your career search.

Thanks for your comments. I am a student in Japan, which is why I am interested in this company. As you said, the job openings are few. They never advertise job openings on their website. The Japanese recruiting system is very fixed and is nothing like I imagine it is in US. Last year they hired 10 people. I will give them a shot.

Back