[ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Use of Info in Apple SoCs

lefty

There is speculation that Apple will use TSMC's new InFO technology for their A10 processor this year. Would that make it hard for Apple to do two tape outs like they did for the A9 (both TSMC and Samsung)? I don't believe Samsung has the equivalent technology (correct me if I'm wrong), so that would mean two SoCs with radically different characteristics.

From the most news and rumors I heard so far, they all pointed to TSMC as the sole manufacturing partner for A10.

There is speculation that Apple will use TSMC's new InFO technology for their A10 processor this year. Would that make it hard for Apple to do two tape outs like they did for the A9 (both TSMC and Samsung)? I don't believe Samsung has the equivalent technology (correct me if I'm wrong), so that would mean two SoCs with radically different characteristics.

The first time Apple second sourced their SoC was the A9 and I can assure you that was not the original plan (14nm capacity issues). And how did that work out (chipgate)? Now that the TSMC and Samsung (10NM) processes are less compatible and the chip packaging (InFO) is not even close to compatible, do you really think Apple is going to multi source the A10?

My bet is NO WAY and I will take friendly bets on this one. If I lose the bet I will send you a free copy of one of our books. If I win I will send you a free copy of one of our books and you will actually have to read it! :cool:

FYI on InFO: https://www.semiwiki.com/forum/cont...ackaging-technology-challenges-solutions.html

Last edited:
InFO technology has nothing to do with the SoC manufacturing, strictly speaking (A10 will be most likely a 16nm FinFET product). InFO is a Fan-Out Wafer Level Packaging technology. And nope, there are "similar" offerings out there. Have a look at Amkor's SLIM and SWIFT or at SPIL's NTI and SLIT.

Back