Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/umc-to-start-14nm-mass-production-in-2q-2017.8548/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

UMC to start 14nm mass production in 2Q 2017

lefty

From the earnings call yesterday we learnt that UMC's 14nm FinFET node is on track and will debute in second quarter 2017, unfortunately so far they only have one customer:
Po Wen Yen
Yes, I cannot comment for the moment for this first pioneer [ph] customer. But we do engage several potential customer on the way and we just mentioned we’re going to have first customer tap out by this quarter for to wafer start we expect to recognize on 14-nanometer revenue contribution in the first half of 2017.

Sebastian Hou
Okay and little more details on your 40-nanometer. I’m curious about what the yield rate progress you have right now, is it already reaching the same size [ph] label for you to begin mass production.
Po Wen Yen
Yes, the yield rate is continually improving and get our customers approval for new product tap outright now and also their test chips their validation, their performance is way on track.
(By the way, there's tonnes of errors in that transcript, because the words "40" and "14" sound the same, but they are obviously talking about 14nm, not 40nm)

I think the definition of mass production and high volume manufacturing have gone the way of process node naming..... In my opinion if you are not yielding in the 90%+ range you are not capable of mass or high volume manufacturing. Today if you get one good die per wafer you are in business.

They skipped 20nm and work on 14nm but I wonder if it would slip to 2018...have they thought about waiting for EUV?

Back