Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/umc-reports-sales-for-june-2023.18335/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

UMC Reports Sales for June 2023

Daniel Nenni

Admin
Staff member
TAIPEI, Taiwan--(BUSINESS WIRE)--United Microelectronics Corporation (NYSE: UMC; TWSE: 2303) (“UMC”), today reported unaudited net sales for the month of June 2023

UMC Revenue 2023.jpg

(*) All figures in thousands of New Taiwan Dollars (NT$), except for percentages.
(**) All figures are consolidated
Additional information about UMC is available on the web at https://www.umc.com.

Contact
Michael Lin / David Wong
UMC, Investor Relations
Tel: + 886-2-2658-9168, ext. 16900
Email: david_wong@umc.com
jinhong_lin@umc.com

UMC is still getting hammered........ Let's see what TSMC says. Nvidia and Apple should be boosting TSMC N5, N4, N3 big time. I honestly do not see TSMC revenue in the negatives this year, absolutely not.

UMC is still getting hammered........ Let's see what TSMC says. Nvidia and Apple should be boosting TSMC N5, N4, N3 big time. I honestly do not see TSMC revenue in the negatives this year, absolutely not.
I am not so sure. While there is a lot of demand for AI focused chips, I expect almost all other segments to be in decline. No doubt AI is cushioning the blow for TSMC, but I doubt anyone will come away unscathed.

is there any publicly available data on number of wafers shipped? To understand the current market revenue numbers might become somewhat misleading considering the huge difference in price per wafer depending on node.

My assumption is TSMC growth is mainly depending on more expensive leading edge nodes. For mature nodes it would be interesting to understand the reason why revenues are dropping: are they shipping less wafers, or is this caused by price erosion?

Hadn't expected things to worsen further for UMC in June but it makes sense considering how commoditized their market segment is. Very little differentiation but I am surprised they haven't bottomed already.

Last edited:
Very interesting but expected. Hadn't expected things to worsen further for UMC in June but it makes sense considering how commoditized their market segment is. Very little differentiation but I am surprised they haven't bottomed already.

It makes me wonder those new fabs' long term business stability and sustainability, either in leading edge or mature nodes. Those governments everywhere can promise you the subsidies but cannot guarantee you the market demands.

is there any publicly available data on number of wafers shipped? To understand the current market revenue numbers might become somewhat misleading considering the huge difference in price per wafer depending on node.

My assumption is TSMC growth is mainly depending on more expensive leading edge nodes. For mature nodes it would be interesting to understand the reason why revenues are dropping: are they shipping less wafers, or is this caused by price erosion?

Not public but IC Insights has that data. If you want to know about mature technologies look at UMC. They are 28nm and up. TSMC gets less than half of their revenue from mature technologies, it was 36% in Q1 2023.

TSMC 1Q23 Revenue.jpg

Demand for consumer electronics in general is declining. Part of this is normalization from the Covid boom, and part of this is consumers becoming more cautious with discretionary purchases in an inflationary environment. Mature nodes in particular are more venerable to this decline, but all segments other than high performance/AI appear to be declining.

Not public but IC Insights has that data. If you want to know about mature technologies look at UMC. They are 28nm and up. TSMC gets less than half of their revenue from mature technologies, it was 36% in Q1 2023.

View attachment 1287

In TSMC's standard, anything older than 7nm are mature nodes. It means in 1Q2023 TSMC got 49% of revenue from mature nodes, not 36%.

Back