Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/tsmc-will-soon-see-more-order-cut-backs-for-its-5nm-and-7nm-process-nodes-from-its-major-customers-fake-news.14672/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

TSMC will soon see more order cut-backs for its 5nm and 7nm process nodes from its major customers (fake news?)

soAsian

"As we know, Apple manufactures its processors through TSMC’s 5-nanometer semiconductor manufacturing process, and MediaTek’s modems use the older 7-nanometer process node from TSMC. The further states that the order reduction will reduce TSMC’s fourth-quarter revenue growth by 5% from market expectations of 10%."

Isn't Apple is a core customer of TSMC? who going to make chip for Apple if Tim cut orders? Samsung?

Can we really go from serious semiconductor shortages to semiconductor order cuts in a matter of days? Highly unlikely. I'm sure TSMC will address this on the Q3 investor call.

It's not fake news.

Rumor: TSMC had extra new production capacity in Q4 but they will be a lot more expensive than normal price.
It looks like TSMC violate their past principle for pricing. But it actually helps the customer which really urgently need to get those capacity.
Some customers are welcome this new policy.

But I am not sure it's Q4 only or it will become a new normal.

Mediatek and Apple won't take these kind of capacity because they can not transfer price increased to the end customers.

I bet these capacity will be get by AMD and mining machine companies. They can easily add more price to their customers.

Next year TSMC 5nm 7nm all gone. (not sure about 4/3nm)

Last edited:
It's not fake news.

Rumor: TSMC had extra new production capacity in Q4 but they will be a lot more expensive than normal price.
It looks like TSMC violate their past principle for pricing. But it actually helps the customer which really urgently need to get those capacity.
Some customers are welcome this new policy.

But I am not sure it's Q4 only or it will become a new normal.

Mediatek and Apple won't take these kind of capacity because they can not transfer price increased to the end customers.

I bet these capacity will be get by AMD and mining machine companies. They can easily add more price to their customers.

Next year TSMC 5nm 7nm all gone. (not sure about 4/3nm)

Apple can transfer any price increase in their supply chain they to their customers, and their customers wont care. In fact some maybe happy if it becomes a niche product.

Apple is an aspirational product for many , and almost all their users will pay whatever price Apple deem fit.

I have no idea where you are in the World but the area I am in Apple is premium product that many buy for no other reason than its Apple.

Very very few are buying the high end Samsung/Oppo/Redmi etc etc

Apple can transfer any price increase in their supply chain they to their customers, and their customers wont care. In fact some maybe happy if it becomes a niche product.

Apple is an aspirational product for many , and almost all their users will pay whatever price Apple deem fit.

I have no idea where you are in the World but the area I am in Apple is premium product that many buy for no other reason than its Apple.

Very very few are buying the high end Samsung/Oppo/Redmi etc etc
Apple want their MSRP to be stable. They won't increase their pricing in Q4 Q1 and lower price in Q2.
They will just take cheaper (normal) price later.

Back