Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/tsmc-to-boost-ties-with-memory-vendors-good-news-for-mu-good-news-or-intel.16173/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

TSMC to boost ties with Memory Vendors - Good news for MU? Good news or Intel?

Brassmonke

Digitimes reports that TSMC needs to up their game in packaging and is looking towards memory vendors as a...source of inspiration.

I'm not sure I see this as any kind of event for NAND memory producers but I'm curious what the take is from the admission that advanced packaging is the future; particularly in light an early adopter of Intel Foveros with Amazon.

Digitimes reports that TSMC needs to up their game in packaging and is looking towards memory vendors as a...source of inspiration.

I'm not sure I see this as any kind of event for NAND memory producers but I'm curious what the take is from the admission that advanced packaging is the future; particularly in light an early adopter of Intel Foveros with Amazon.

Intel has exited out memory business already, at least in the manufacturing part of business. I don't know if there is anything Intel can offer.

Micron is a different story. They have major fabs in Taiwan close to TSMC. There isn't any similar product or market competition between TSMC and Micron. As far as I know, they have a very good relationship for a long time.

Last edited:
Intel has exited out memory business already, at least in the manufacturing part of business. I don't know if there is anything Intel can offer.

Micron is a different story. They have major fabs in Taiwan close to TSMC. There isn't any similar product or market competition between TSMC and Micron. As far as I know, they have a very good relationship for a long time.
Micron Taiwan ex-Chairman, Mr. Hsu, just joined tsmc as RD VP in advanced package development. It might imply some future collaboration.
1654210356197.png

According to Tip3X (a small website I've never heard previously of), TSMC Chairman Mark Liu hinted that TSMC would start cooperating with Micron in the field of logic and memory chips.

Perhaps that's why Micron decided to install EUV machines at their Taichung fab later this year.

I believe it, pretty sure DRAM had stuff like vertical transistors and air gaps before logic. I don't think AI can truly scale until someone figures out a good in-memory implementation, and Micron seems to be the most aggressive in this area among memory manufacturers.

Back when Intel wasn't a dumpster fire they effectively leveraged R&D from their memory business for their processor technologies, particularly the backend stuff. Memory tends to bring out the worst problems in scaling due to the vast statistical nature of memory array bitcells, WL/BL drivers, and small signal BL sense amplifiers.

According to Tip3X (a small website I've never heard previously of), TSMC Chairman Mark Liu hinted that TSMC would start cooperating with Micron in the field of logic and memory chips.

Perhaps that's why Micron decided to install EUV machines at their Taichung fab later this year.

From a first party source — it's just advanced packaging

Package service for stacked DRAM.

Back