Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/tsmc-phoenix-fab-february-2023-construction-update.17447/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

TSMC Phoenix FAB February 2023 Construction Update

Impressive video. A Semiconductor plant of this magnitude in the desert... we shall see, lets hope for great success.
What does that mean? Intel's AZ campus is like twice the size about an hour up the road. Given this information there is no reason TSMC couldn't operate a fab this small in AZ.

2nd phase of expansion looks to be under way no?
That it does. Although that is not surprising given the time table for the project and the relatively long lead times for the shells.

It means that water resources in this part of the country are dwindling, and water is a key component of these Fabs. These are all "greener" Fabs and do a great job at reclaiming water but perhaps newer fabs should be built in other parts of the country in order to remove the stress related to the water crisis in the southwest region. One additional Fab in isolation might not seems like an issue, but the water problem will continue to get worse, and the demand driven my many industries (not just semiconductors) will continue to exacerbate the situation.

It means that water resources in this part of the country are dwindling, and water is a key component of these Fabs. These are all "greener" Fabs and do a great job at reclaiming water but perhaps newer fabs should be built in other parts of the country in order to remove the stress related to the water crisis in the southwest region. One additional Fab in isolation might not seems like an issue, but the water problem will continue to get worse, and the demand driven my many industries (not just semiconductors) will continue to exacerbate the situation.
The real issue is the fact that a farming industry was allowed to be started in a literal desert. Farming uses the vast majority of water in Arizona and it’s not even remotely close. 72%!!! How unreal is that. There is no reason there should be farms in Arizona when the middle of the country is an unparalleled bread basket with the productivity the world has never seen. It’s just senseless. Sooner or later the politicians are going to have to realize this. Farming here is just the height of human arrogance and absurdity.

The real issue is the fact that a farming industry was allowed to be started in a literal desert. Farming uses the vast majority of water in Arizona and it’s not even remotely close. 72%!!! How unreal is that. There is no reason there should be farms in Arizona when the middle of the country is an unparalleled bread basket with the productivity the world has never seen. It’s just senseless. Sooner or later the politicians are going to have to realize this. Farming here is just the height of human arrogance and absurdity.
And those golf courses built in the middle of deserts are bad!

Meanwhile during my daily commute back, I pass by the Tainan site, see steam coming out at least 5 plants.

I had a quick 30-minute drive-by visit over Tainan Science Park in early January. TSMC's presence there is massive and it's only one of the three clusters they operate in Taiwan.

Last edited:
Fully agree with you statement which makes the overall point I was trying to highlight.

I had a quick 30-minute drive-by visit over Tainan Science Park in early January. TSMC's presence there is massive and it's only one of the three clusters they operate in Taiwan.

h
Great video. The scale of the ongoing operations is hard to wrap my head around. The construction site in Kyushu is no slouch either. And to think Europe wants a site as well. I for one welcome out TSMC overlords haha

Great video. The scale of the ongoing operations is hard to wrap my head around. The construction site in Kyushu is no slouch either. And to think Europe wants a site as well. I for one welcome out TSMC overlords haha

A rumor said TSMC has postponed the European fab for two years.

In addition to the global semiconductor market condition, Intel is asking $3 billion more subsidy to revive Intel's Germany fab project. I believe TSMC is certainly moving their first European fab project more carefully.

Last edited:
Back