Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/tsmc-phoenix-construction-update-4-nov-10-2023-phoenix-az-4k-chip-plant.19184/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

TSMC Phoenix Construction Update #4 - Nov. 10, 2023 - Phoenix, AZ (4K) CHIP PLANT

TSMC Phoneix 2 - November 2023.jpg

Interesting how they labeled the phases. When they showed the roof and sides it is pretty clear that each fab is a two phase design for faster bring up. I wonder why they didn’t instead label it as P1-4. I also wonder what factors led TSMC to use bridges between fabs rather than just having merged cleanrooms or what led them to not use rectangular fabs like everybody else?

Interesting how they labeled the phases. When they showed the roof and sides it is pretty clear that each fab is a two phase design for faster bring up. I wonder why they didn’t instead label it as P1-4. I also wonder what factors led TSMC to use bridges between fabs rather than just having merged cleanrooms or what led them to not use rectangular fabs like everybody else?

Let me clarify it. I labeled them as phase 1 and 2, not TSMC.

Not familiar with merged cleanrooms or rectangular fabs, the main reasons of using bridges between fabs should be easier to run each fab individually and still prevent to do product certification again (when do production in different phases). It might be easier for design and management as well.

Not familiar with merged cleanrooms
It is exactly what it sounds like. The new fab gets built adjacent to the wall of the old one and once done the wall gets torn down.
or rectangular fabs,
Samsung’s pyeongtaek campus is a wonderful example with many good pictures available. While Micron seems to have a good number of square shaped fabs like TSMC, their expansion plans are rectangular. Koxia, SK, and intel also seem to favor rectangular designs.
the main reasons of using bridges between fabs should be easier to run each fab individually and still prevent to do product certification again (when do production in different phases). It might be easier for design and management as well.
The bridges were not a problem. I was only wondering relative to a merged cleanroom because it should cost more and take more space than a merged cleanroom would. It is also more walking distance. As for product cert I don’t think there is any benefit to having separate fabs but I guess I don’t know for sure how TSMC does things.

Back