[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

TSMC April YoY Revenue is +55%

Daniel Nenni

Admin
Staff member
TSMC and UMC continue to produce big numbers. Simply amazing:

TSMC Reports Sales for April 2022

HSINCHU, Taiwan, R.O.C. – May 10, 2022 - TSMC (TWSE: 2330, NYSE: TSM) today announced its net revenue for April 2022: On a consolidated basis, revenue for April 2022 was approximately NT$172.56 billion, an increase of 0.3 percent from March 2022 and an increase of 55.0 percent from April 2021. Revenue for January through April 2022 totaled NT$663.64 billion, an increase of 40.1 percent compared to the same period in 2021.
TSMC APril 2022 Revenue.jpg

TSMC 2022 Revenue.jpg

UMC Reports Sales for April 2022

TAIPEI, Taiwan--(BUSINESS WIRE)--United Microelectronics Corporation (NYSE: UMC; TWSE: 2303) (“UMC”), today reported unaudited net sales for the month of April 2022.

UMC April 2022 Revenue.jpg

UMC 2022 Revenue.jpg

Speaking of TSMC's revenue...it looks like they are planning a second additional price hike of "single-digit percentages" (5-8%?) across mature and cutting-edge nodes citing inflation, rising costs and its expansion plans to help alleviate the global supply crunch. The planned price hike will take effect by the beginning of 2023.

This notification comes after a year after TSMC's biggest price hike in a decade. One executive commented stating, "For the advanced chips it might work, but for matured nodes, it could be quite challenging for customers to accept."

Apologies...the source (below) is paywalled.

Speaking of TSMC's revenue...it looks like they are planning a second additional price hike of "single-digit percentages" (5-8%?) across mature and cutting-edge nodes citing inflation, rising costs and its expansion plans to help alleviate the global supply crunch. The planned price hike will take effect by the beginning of 2023.
This notification comes after a year after TSMC's biggest price hike in a decade. One executive commented stating, "For the advanced chips it might work, but for matured nodes, it could be quite challenging for customers to accept."
Apologies...the source (below) is paywalled.

It's down to supply and demand for mature nodes. Supply is constant and demand has risen so pricing will go up. As soon as we are through the backlog of cancelled orders returning and double ordering for inventory we should see price competition coming back. Remember, at the mature nodes you can take a design from TSMC to UMC to SMIC to GF Singapore for 2nd, 3rd and 4th sourcing.

Malcom Penn is holding his mid year update today, maybe we will know more then about the demand bubble pop.

TSMC 2021 revenue was US$56.8 billion. If TSMC can maintain a 35% yearly growth rate, their 2022 revenue will be around $76 billion and matches Intel's forecasted 2022 revenue.

According to Malcolm Penn this morning the semiconductor market is going to take a major dump in 6-9 months so that 35% may not be possible. I'm a little more optimistic given that TSMC builds to order and N3 is going to be HUGE. The rest of the industry may well be back in the single digit growth, but not TSMC. Worst case TSMC might be back to 20% growth next year.

According to Malcolm Penn this morning the semiconductor market is going to take a major dump in 6-9 months so that 35% may not be possible. I'm a little more optimistic given that TSMC builds to order and N3 is going to be HUGE. The rest of the industry may well be back in the single digit growth, but not TSMC. Worst case TSMC might be back to 20% growth next year.
Really dumb question - is there "enough" Taiwan for TSMC to continue growing at high paces for the decade ahead? i.e. enough adjacent land to existing fabs (if it matters), water resources, engineering and other talents, etc.? I don't mean this as a negative on Taiwan - I'm just curious if TSMC is running into any growth limiters in areas of geography, people, and resources?

Really dumb question - is there "enough" Taiwan for TSMC to continue growing at high paces for the decade ahead? i.e. enough adjacent land to existing fabs (if it matters), water resources, engineering and other talents, etc.? I don't mean this as a negative on Taiwan - I'm just curious if TSMC is running into any growth limiters in areas of geography, people, and resources?
The future Taiwan water and electricity supply are very challenging to TSMC, especially in the electricity situation, according to TSMC's comments I read somewhere last year.

That's why TSMC's new fabs in Arizona and Japan are strategically important to them.

Last edited:
Malcolm predicted about +6% growth for semiconductor industry in 2022. I'm a little bit unconvinced.

By looking at the current 14%-71% quarterly YoY growth for most of the semiconductor companies who have reported their earnings, the +6% 2022 industry yearly growth is possible but less likely. We need to see some extraordinary situations to happen to bring it down to the 6% range.

Most of those companies need to have serious revenue drops in the second half of 2022 in order to wipe out their incredible revenue gain during the first half of 2022.

Last edited:
Back