Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/the-metaverse-will-suck-memory-and-computational-power.15278/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

The Metaverse will suck Memory and Computational power

Arthur Hanson

Although the metaverse will suck huge amounts of memory and computational power, it will still make many processes, education, and collaboration of all types(business, research, education, and social interactions) cheaper and more time-efficient. In-memory computing could be the key that makes this all happen. Google, Micron, and TSM are all working on this I believe, although in stealth mode as possible.
Any thoughts or additions to this would be appreciated.

I think we can count on many more years of semiconductor growth? AI alone will consume huge amounts of die space and wafers at the leading edge process nodes. But don't worry, we can always expand the semiconductor ecosystem all over the world which will be a boon to geopolitics, absolutely.

Can someone define metaverse? I think the term comes from
the many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics due
to Hugh Everett. I think it was intended as sort of a joke.
Idea is that during a measurement all possible out comes
(worlds) exist. Even mathematicians who think physical
reality is axiomatic mathematics, find contradictions in
the meta world interpretation. I wonder what would happen
if believers in metaverses, consumed only meta calories.

Can someone define metaverse? I think the term comes from
the many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics due
to Hugh Everett. I think it was intended as sort of a joke.
Idea is that during a measurement all possible out comes
(worlds) exist. Even mathematicians who think physical
reality is axiomatic mathematics, find contradictions in
the meta world interpretation. I wonder what would happen
if believers in metaverses, consumed only meta calories.
Metaverse is marketing. You can think of it as a more immersive, 3d world on the internet, where people have personas, socialize, work, play games, consume content, go on VR adventures and so on. Games like Fortnight and Robolox can be thought of as proto-metaverses. If you have or know any kids between the ages of 6-15 you'd know what I'm talking about.

Thoughts please about Apple/TSMC in this regard. And especially considering the UMA architecture and possible future storage and display technologies developed by TSMC, which could radically transform the experience as well as power and weight of head mount devices.

Although the metaverse will suck huge amounts of memory and computational power, it will still make many processes, education, and collaboration of all types(business, research, education, and social interactions) cheaper and more time-efficient. In-memory computing could be the key that makes this all happen. Google, Micron, and TSM are all working on this I believe, although in stealth mode as possible.
Any thoughts or additions to this would be appreciated.
I agree with Arther Hansen on this. The conventional system architectures will create power-hungry systems with many latency bottlenecks. In-memory computing can provide a wonderful improvement to conventional systems.

Metaverse:

Metaverse.jpg

"Metaverse" was named and described in detail in Neal Stephenson's 1992 book, Snow Crash. It is a key theme in the book. Its description informs some of what has come into existence and what will be invented in the not so distant future. Jaron Lanier is another early visionary of what Stephenson called the metaverse.

Back