Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/taiwan-the-most-dangerous-place-on-earth-the-economist.14166/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Taiwan, The Most Dangerous Place on Earth, The Economist

Arthur Hanson

Taiwan has been ruled the most dangerous place on earth in the current issue of The Economist in their cover story. It's an in-depth article that covers the many issues involved including the "Silicon Shield". They feel if anything happens it will be in the next six years. An excellent article worth reading if you have or can get access. If China does act, it looks like a loose, loose outcome for everyone. One has to keep in mind that a deterrent is only in the mind of the beholder. If there is a conflict, it will be one of the most technologically advanced conflicts ever, involving almost every type of technology at the cutting edge. It would definitely be extremely costly to the whole planet without a doubt. I just hope the greed factor on all sides comes to the conclusion it isn't worth the cost in blood or treasure and even a so-called winner would pay a horrible price in lives, treasure, and relationships. The impact on the semi sector would alone be staggering and have a worldwide impact on everyone and if bloody enough cripple the semi sector and the world economy for many years, even decades. Any additional thoughts and comments appreciated.

Taiwan has been ruled the most dangerous place on earth in the current issue of The Economist in their cover story. It's an in-depth article that covers the many issues involved including the "Silicon Shield". They feel if anything happens it will be in the next six years. An excellent article worth reading if you have or can get access. If China does act, it looks like a loose, loose outcome for everyone. One has to keep in mind that a deterrent is only in the mind of the beholder. If there is a conflict, it will be one of the most technologically advanced conflicts ever, involving almost every type of technology at the cutting edge. It would definitely be extremely costly to the whole planet without a doubt. I just hope the greed factor on all sides comes to the conclusion it isn't worth the cost in blood or treasure and even a so-called winner would pay a horrible price in lives, treasure, and relationships. The impact on the semi sector would alone be staggering and have a worldwide impact on everyone and if bloody enough cripple the semi sector and the world economy for many years, even decades. Any additional thoughts and comments appreciated.
I've been hearing the Chinese Invasion since i was growing up in Taiwan back in the '70. The really scary movement was 1996 election. It got to the point where American send two aircraft carriers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Taiwan_Strait_Crisis

There's are some running jokes about China invasion in Taiwan but overall I think Taiwanese are mostly numb to it. There are endless pro "Red" media constantly talking about how China going to use military to take over Taiwan but every election the pan-blue (KMT) keep losing. A lot of young Taiwanese don't feel like they are Chinese but Taiwanese. Taiwan just want to be Taiwan. If the invasion happen, it happen but why worry about something that is constantly there but never happens(?).

just like South Korea, Taiwanese have a big bully for neighbor but why keep worry about Noth Korea and not making money or make your country great again(?) There's always constant threats in the world. American are lucky, their neighbors ain't bully. If foreign companies/countries worry about South Korea and Taiwan then why keep buying products from SK/Taiwan? move somewhere else(?)

I'll believe it when it happens. at the mean time, I think TSMC should have more fabs open in different country or the world should have more fabs.

Last edited:
Back