Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/taiwan-conflict-the-first-drone-hacking-war-tech-the-next-battleground-we-should-prepare-now.20587/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Taiwan Conflict, The first Drone/Hacking War, Tech the next battleground, We should prepare now

Arthur Hanson

The semi sector is changing everything including warfare, for the next major conflict may be largely conducted by drones of all types, sea, land and air combined with hacking data systems on a scale not even imagined. Warfare is going to change in ways most haven't even imagined, I see even social media playing a significant role in the next major conflict. It's past time for the tech sector to look at the options for dealing with these new war zones to try to minimize a conflict that could have unimagined ramifications from water, power, control systems and many others to numerous to list. That no one has considered a warfare extending to the financial system in all aspects surprises me for it's a major part of the world I deal in on a personal level. It's past time to figure out the best ways to manage and put some controls on future high tech war that most haven't even imagined the ramifications.

It is way past time for the tech sector and the people in it, to consider how mankind is going to deal with the massive powers that have barely been even considered. Any thoughts or comments appreciated. The tech sector is opening up whole new fields of conflict that most haven't even imagined. With great power, goes great responsibility. Any thoughts on how to start dealing with the power of whole new worlds tech has created sought and welcome. No longer can we just focus on the great power of tech and not consider the dangers. Just a tech war hitting the financial/trade system could be as devesting as a nuclear war.

Comments, thoughts and additions sought and welcomed, I feel this is an area of ever-increasing relevance and the SemiWiki community among the best forum to start this discussion.

Last edited:
China has 80-100 deliverable warheads out of ~300 total, US has way more. In a war, US will win.

China is an extremely centralised country. If Beijing is taken out, it's effectively takes out all of political authority, and governance ability.

The politburo has no functioning succession mechanism, because creating such would be a suicide for them.

The whole system was engineered to be as irremovable, and irreplaceable as possible.

Everything I’m seeing about Ukraine is that so far Drones may be the vehicle that obsoletes tanks, much like how aircraft carriers obsoleted battleships. That said, drones are still ‘slow’ compared to missiles and shells.

The US is going to require a real serious education campaign with its entire population on cybersecurity in order to be ready for the next (generation) conflict. Just having secure systems and software isn’t enough when the human is the weak spot, always. I think the problem here is it’s going to take a generation or two for this to happen.

That said, the semiwiki community, and the companies building products here can lay the foundation for secure platforms and practices certainly..(it’s better to engineer in security that adds 20 door locks later).

Everything I’m seeing about Ukraine is that so far Drones may be the vehicle that obsoletes tanks, much like how aircraft carriers obsoleted battleships. That said, drones are still ‘slow’ compared to missiles and shells.

The US is going to require a real serious education campaign with its entire population on cybersecurity in order to be ready for the next (generation) conflict. Just having secure systems and software isn’t enough when the human is the weak spot, always. I think the problem here is it’s going to take a generation or two for this to happen.

That said, the semiwiki community, and the companies building products here can lay the foundation for secure platforms and practices certainly..(it’s better to engineer in security that adds 20 door locks later).

I think the much more urgent training, and preparedness effort should be focused on survival during nuclear warfare.

Drones are peanuts in comparison to missile attacks, while indeed still dominating at the frontline.

The question is a bluff and poker question and who would blink first.

China can at any time hold Taiwan hostage thru declaration of possession of rogue state. Or they could do more …. At what cost and what would the west do. Do you think the Europeans and others really appreciate the US led insecurity embargo?

China will fall further and further behind even with smuggled chips. They simple are decades away from building airplanes or putting in place the infrastructure to make advance chips. At somepoint if the US and west pulls to far ahead and they become desperate look out.

At this point we could have a lunatic drive policy or a senile leader with policies scripted by handlers, who knows what will happen.

Most interesting walking Semicon and talking to many people across the globe off the record what they think of this US lead war

Last edited:
I think the much more urgent training, and preparedness effort should be focused on survival during nuclear warfare.

Drones are peanuts in comparison to missile attacks, while indeed still dominating at the frontline.
What about nuclear delivered by drones? They basically are now.

What about nuclear delivered by drones? They basically are now.

Nuclear bombs are too expensive to put them on drones. You will put them on the biggest, most expensive missiles you can make.

But the twist can be somebody like Rhodesia, living under sanctions for decades and brewing mountains of Plutonium, but without substantial industry wanting to challenge a superpower. Load 1000 such drones on a rogue container ship, and then imagine the next step.

Drones really have been a game changer. We are basically in a drone development race. Who can build the better air/land/sea drones and more importantly who can build the best drone defenses. It really will be an AI race and I'm liking America's odd's on this one. In the past boots on the ground was important and we will never beat countries that have no value on human life. Russia's prisons are basically empty yet they are still throwing troops at Ukraine. China and North Korea will do the same. The US will not. Just my opinion.

I'm wondering if Joe Biden ran with Barack Obama as VP then stepped aside, could Barack serve a third term as POTUS?

China has 80-100 deliverable warheads out of ~300 total, US has way more. In a war, US will win.

China is an extremely centralised country. If Beijing is taken out, it's effectively takes out all of political authority, and governance ability.

The politburo has no functioning succession mechanism, because creating such would be a suicide for them.

The whole system was engineered to be as irremovable, and irreplaceable as possible.
No one wins a nuclear war and if there is one, the next war will be fought with stones and clubs.

Nuclear bombs are too expensive to put them on drones. You will put them on the biggest, most expensive missiles you can make.

But the twist can be somebody like Rhodesia, living under sanctions for decades and brewing mountains of Plutonium, but without substantial industry wanting to challenge a superpower. Load 1000 such drones on a rogue container ship, and then imagine the next step.
Nuclear weapons can also be delivered by cheap torpedoes, trucks, ships, planes and even in shipping containers that stay in place until triggered. Delivery of nuclear weapons could be done months even years in advance. Just think what a nuclear sea or land mine could do. They say after the first major nuclear war, the next will be fought with sticks and stones.

Last edited:
No one wins a nuclear war and if there is one, the next war will be fought with stones and clubs.

The side which wins in a nuclear conflict, is the one which conducts a coordinated surprise attack, followed by a massive conventional onslaught to overwhelm remaining forces.

Even if China, and Russia will be allowed to take days to dump their entire arsenal, including all warheads in storage, nuclear artillery, and nuclear gravity bombs, and kill a quarter of the USA's population, it still leaves more than enough of military, industry, and civilian economy for the country the size of USA.

Nuclear weapons can also be delivered by cheap torpedoes, trucks, ships, planes and even in shipping containers that stay in place until triggered.

The thing is, you will need thousands of them to make a difference in any North America invasion scenarios. I am sure, Russians still have a few Soviet "Lightning" nuclear charges hidden around the US, but they will not change much because of that.

Back