[ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Semis in War

Arthur Hanson

Semis are playing a key role in warfare, as we are seeing in Ukraine. Even artillery shells and previous dumb bombs are being given guidance systems that have really changed the battlefield as it has brought what was at one time considered a powerful army to its knees, against all odds. The penetration into military actions led to the creation of the transistor and we will see even more developments with munitions being equipped with advanced sensors, memory and intelligence systems. This is the first war where drones have become key not only in intelligence, but striking targers of all types. In the next war it will be easy to see drones given intelligence to operate on their own and be able to sit and wait for long periods of time and activate themselves when needed. This war is changing all the rules as both sides are finding out. After this war, the place in conflict of drones will only increase. This will also enable drones to become ever more useful in a variety of peaceful and productive applications. This war will provide a large peace dividend as more and more functions will be able to conducted by drones of all types, shapes and sizes. Drones that travel by land, water and air and perform ever more functions when intelligence is added will provide large opportunities for the tech sector as many previous wars have also provided. Hopefully this will yield to many peaceful uses in the future. War has always been just one of the drivers of technology and this tragic conflict is really demonstrating the value of tech in a conflict. I hope this will yield solutions to the ultimate conflict that mankind has with our ecosystem which is already showing massive signs of strain. I have no doubt those that master how to layer advances in everything in a way they compound on each other will be key in making the world a better place and organizations like SemiWiki has and will continue to play a key part in the challenges before us. Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

Last edited:
From what I have read drones are the big game changers in Ukraine. Not just passively collecting information, drones are also weapons. Kamikaze drones are being use by both sides in Ukraine:

And of course drones are all about semiconductors and AI will make them even more deadly.

From what I have read drones are the big game changers in Ukraine. Not just passively collecting information, drones are also weapons. Kamikaze drones are being use by both sides in Ukraine:

And of course drones are all about semiconductors and AI will make them even more deadly.
Dan, drones are just in their early stages and this war I have no doubt will yield many civilian and peace time uses as more and more functions and autonomy are added. I have already read about drones augmenting lifeguards at beaches by dropping flotation devices long before a lifeguard could get to them. This could greatly reduce the cost of air freight by not only eliminating pilots, but the cockpit and supporting structures. Autonomous trucks on long haul highway stretches are already about to become a reality and the same could be true of trains and ships. This war has a chance of showing some redeeming value to this horrible war.

Depending on how you see it, Texas Instruments Javelin is also a "kamikaze drone," except it's eighties technology... For the time, it was genuinely a sci-fi level of technology.

Back