Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/self-charging-nuclear-battery.12944/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Self Charging Nuclear Battery?

Arthur Hanson

I ran across this interesting technology as a very interesting combination of nanotech that looks far out, but may prove revolutionary. Any thoughts or opinions on this tech would be appreciated. It's seems pretty wild to me, but may become an out of left field dramatic game changer that would use many of the processes used in the semi industry. If this proves out, it could greatly grow new markets for the semi industry and literally be a game changer or just end up a curiosity. It looks something like a traveling wave nuclear generator on an extremely small scale, which I studied many years ago.

Hi Arthur,
These betavoltaic batteries have been on the market for a decade or so - usually in order to use SRAMs as non-volatile storage, or combined with a large cap to supply devices with long sleep times and short periodic wake cycles.

Current suppliers are offering 50-100µW or so power output.

NDB doesn't seem to be claiming to have improved the betavoltaic technology, but to have included a secret sauce supercap to make it more versitile? Their site is low on tech specs.

Might find some uses due to high theoretical energy density (W-h/kg), but if you have to discharge the battery for 50 years to get the energy out, it is always going to be a niche product.

Back