Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/samsungs-10nm-is-11-denser-than-intels-14nm.9330/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Samsung's 10nm is 11% denser than Intel's 14nm

lefty

Analysis of Qualcomm's Snapdragon 835 is complete at techinsights: Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 First to 10 nm
We are able to confirm a 68 nm contacted gate pitch with dummy poly single diffusion break (SDB)
capability. The minimum BEOL pitch is difficult to determine with a cross section, but we expect to find
the publically published 48 nm pitch to be the minimum, once our functional block analysis looks into
the specific layout features. Overall, the process appears to be similar to Samsung’s 14LPE and 14LPP
processes, with a dual shallow trench isolation (STI) and extra processing necessary to enable a dummy
poly SDB. The contacts have been simplified to a single level to avoid a large increase in mask count.
While the gate has a dielectric cap and appears to be self-aligned contact capable, the initial cross
sections are not showing much, if any, usage of the gate cap.
So, 48nm x 68nm = 3264
Intel's 14nm is 52nm x 70nm = 3640
-> 11% denser (please feel free to correct me if I made a mistake)

Analysis of Qualcomm's Snapdragon 835 is complete at techinsights: Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 First to 10 nm

So, 48nm x 68nm = 3264
Intel's 14nm is 52nm x 70nm = 3640
-> 11% denser (please feel free to correct me if I made a mistake)

To be fair, for the 14nm++ the CPP is 84nm. Since 10nm LPE is currently "competing" with the 14nm++, I would rather use the new figure:

Samsung's 10nm: 48nm x 68nm = 3264
Intel's 14nm : 52nm x 84nm = 4368

That's already a ~34% difference.
Anyway, no matters how we look at this, Intel is currently behind in density, since Samsung S8 is on the shelves while Cannonlake is not (they are actually taking advantage of the node naming difference between foundries and IDMs to deceive the market).

Then of course (fair enough, once cannonlake is released):
Intel's 10nm : 36nm x 54nm = 1944

Side note. As far as we know, the first 10nm xtors should perform worse than the current 14nm+/14nm++ generation, with Intel being only able to catch up once the 10nm++ is deployed.

I am really intrigued by Intel's 14nm++ process, not least because it is scaling in the opposite direction of everyone else. Why would Intel do that? What performance benefits does it bring to do that? I wouldn't just dismiss it out of hand.

There are comprehensive reviews of the AMD Ryzen with GF 14LPP process, comparing it to Intel 14nm Broadwell, Skylake and Kaby Lake. It is denser than Intel 14nm, but does not perform as well, even compared to Broadwell. It seems density produces a low cost, and perhaps higher yields, but does nothing positive for performance.

Last edited:
There are comprehensive reviews of the AMD Ryzen with GF 14LPP process, comparing it to Intel 14nm Broadwell, Skylake and Kaby Lake. It is denser than Intel 14nm, but does not perform as well, even compared to Broadwell.

What do you mean about performances (I hope you are not talking about videogames)?
Ryzen has over 2X computational power per price when compared to the current Intel products. And core per core, has a lower TDP. It is winning hands down.
Just to give you a better idea about the disruption introduced in the PC market by Ryzen, the top of the line (consumer) Intel chip is the 10 cores Broadwell-E i7-6950X priced at ~1700$. The successor, based on Skylake-X, is the 10 cores i9-7900X at ~1000$. I have never seen Intel being forced to perform such a huge price cut, year over year.
And even with that, considering AMD will release the consumer 16 cores 32 threads monster called Threadripper very soon, things are going to be tougher for them.
Intel pays a huge yield penalty in order to increase the core count (bigger die, lower yield), while AMD can just stick together the same Ryzen chips in MCM by using the infinity fabric connection and enjoy the stellar yield of the smaller dice.
In the server market, this is going to hurt Intel very badly.

I agree that AMD has a big opportunity in the server market, especially with AI coming. If AMD can get the Ryzen chips debugged and ready for the server market when GF 7nm comes out in 2018/2019 AMD will have a process lead on Intel for the first time. The GF 7nm will also be tuned for Ryzen like Intel does for their CPUs.

This can be HUGE! Especially since Intel 10nm looks to be underwhelming the industry. AMD will also have an AI tuned CPU and GPU combo that Intel or Nvidia will not have.

I agree that AMD has a big opportunity in the server market, especially with AI coming. If AMD can get the Ryzen chips debugged and ready for the server market when GF 7nm comes out in 2018/2019 AMD will have a process lead on Intel for the first time. The GF 7nm will also be tuned for Ryzen like Intel does for their CPUs.

This can be HUGE! Especially since Intel 10nm looks to be underwhelming the industry. AMD will also have an AI tuned CPU and GPU combo that Intel or Nvidia will not have.
Daniel though I agree that AMD has a huge opportunity with 7nm Zen 2 in Q1/Q2 2019 , GF will not have a process lead over Intel. According to my calculations GF 7LP Contacted gate pitch should be 56nm and minimum metal pitch should be 40nm.

https://www.semiwiki.com/forum/content/6837-globalfoundries-7nm-euv-update.html#comments_start

Intel 10nm will have a slight density advantage with Contacted gate pitch at 54nm and minimum metal pitch at 36nm. But the gap in transistor density is going to be much less than Intel 14nm vs GF 14LPP.

Intel 14nm (CP= 70nm MMP= 52nm , CP*MMP = 3640)
vs
GF 14LPP (CP=78nm, MMP=64nm ,CP*MMP= 4992).

The other key factor is going to be GF 7LP performance which will now enable AMD to have CPU designed for 5 Ghz operation. AMD has the best opportunity in well over a decade to compete with Intel using a 7LP process which is very competitive with Intel 10nm. I think Zen 2 on 7LP and Zen 3 on 7LP+ (with EUV, further density improvements and even higher performance) present AMD the best opportunity to match and even leapfrog Intel. The next few years are going to be very exciting for the PC industry with renewed competition in desktop, notebook and server market

Last edited:
Daniel though I agree that AMD has a huge opportunity with 7nm Zen 2 in Q1/Q2 2019 , GF will not have a process lead over Intel. According to my calculations GF 7LP Contacted gate pitch should be 40nm and minimum metal pitch should be 56nm.

https://www.semiwiki.com/forum/content/6837-globalfoundries-7nm-euv-update.html#comments_start

Intel 10nm will have a slight density advantage with Contacted gate pitch at 36nm and minimum metal pitch at 54nm. But the gap in transistor density is going to be much less than Intel 14nm vs GF 14LPP.

vs

The other key factor is going to be GF 7LP performance which will now enable AMD to have CPU designed for 5 Ghz operation. AMD has the best opportunity in well over a decade to compete with Intel using a 7LP process which is very competitive with Intel 10nm. I think Zen 2 on 7LP and Zen 3 on 7LP+ (with EUV, further density improvements and even higher performance) present AMD the best opportunity to match and even leapfrog Intel. The next few years are going to be very exciting for the PC industry with renewed competition in desktop, notebook and server market

I think maybe you swapped CGP and MMP at some points? If they can leverage CGP they might shrink earlier but there's always density vs. performance tradeoff.

Daniel though I agree that AMD has a huge opportunity with 7nm Zen 2 in Q1/Q2 2019 , GF will not have a process lead over Intel. According to my calculations GF 7LP Contacted gate pitch should be 40nm and minimum metal pitch should be 56nm.

Intel 10nm will have a slight density advantage with Contacted gate pitch at 36nm and minimum metal pitch at 54nm. But the gap in transistor density is going to be much less than Intel 14nm vs GF 14LPP.

vs

Yes, I was speaking of performance versus density. Remember, Samsung 14nm was not designed for AMD. It was originally designed for SoCs from QCOM and Apple. I can assure you that AMD is the first silicon to go through GF 7nm. It really is exciting! I'm not convinced EUV will help 7nm with 5nm so close behind.

The other interesting thing is the IBM version of 7nm and 5nm. GF 7nm looks more like TSMC 7nm than the IBM 7nm chip. I guess GF learned what not to do from IBM? :rolleyes:

I think maybe you swapped CGP and MMP at some points? If they can leverage CGP they might shrink earlier but there's always density vs. performance tradeoff.

yeah you are right. i corrected them.

Yes, I was speaking of performance versus density. Remember, Samsung 14nm was not designed for AMD. It was originally designed for SoCs from QCOM and Apple. I can assure you that AMD is the first silicon to go through GF 7nm. It really is exciting! I'm not convinced EUV will help 7nm with 5nm so close behind.

The other interesting thing is the IBM version of 7nm and 5nm. GF 7nm looks more like TSMC 7nm than the IBM 7nm chip. I guess GF learned what not to do from IBM? :rolleyes:

EUV will definitely help 7nm with improved transistor density, reduced defect density and lower cycle times. Gary Patton talked in one of his interviews about how EUV would benefit 7nm

Semiconductor Engineering .:. To 7nm And Beyond -Semiconductor Engineering

Patton: There are projections that 7nm is going to be in the 80-mask range. People think about EUV for scaling, but at least in the initial phase the cycle-time improvement will be a great benefit. To be able to go from 80-plus masks down to 60-plus masks would be a huge benefit. Add to that the defect density benefit, because you’re not depositing and etching and running all these process steps that add defects to the wafers.

Caulfield: Even with 14/16nm technologies, the number of mask steps are in the low 60s. You can do some of the lower-order thin wire quad patterning, cut masks steps out, and all of a sudden you’re doing the same number of mask steps at 7nm.

AMD already confirmed Zen 3 on their roadmap at 7nm+ which is probably an improved 7LP with EUV and even better performance. One more thing is that I do not see GF developing half nodes(as their main customers IBM/AMD are high performance and not mobile) so their next node whatever its called (5nm or 4nm) would probably launch in 2021 with actual products shipping in early 2022. I think that a full node jump with >30% transistor perf increase and >2x transistor density improvement will take 3 years. I don't know if TSMC 5nm is a node like 10nm with 2x transistor density improvements but with transistor perf increase of 15% (which is more like a half node). Gary Patton also mentioned the same about what the 5nm node is going to mean

Semiconductor Engineering .:. To 7nm And Beyond -Semiconductor Engineering

Patton: It’s too early to tell, but it looks challenging. That may mean it takes longer to get to a true 5nm. If it has to have EUV, and it has to have new device structures, it will take a long time. 7nm will be a long node in my view. There will be performance tweaks on it.

Caulfield: But here is what the industry is learning: If a design is going to cost $300 million to $500 million, it better have real value. With 20nm, there were two high-volume chips, but the rest of the industry saw that as a failure. Every node will be defined. With 7nm, if you shrink 65% you can get a real cost savings. Complexity goes up, so maybe you don’t get the full savings, but you get a portion of that, and you get performance. We believe 10nm will be a few companies looking for performance to hit a market, and everyone else will wait for 7nm.

Patton: 20nm was a misstep in my opinion. It was improved with a 14/16nm finFET, but it was really a 20nm process. 10nm was another misstep. There is not a huge value proposition in terms of performance. With local layout effects, they’re getting very little performance improvement. There is a power benefit, but very little in terms of performance or cost. If people rush to 5nm, it could be a repeat of 10. If we take our time and really define the node, then it could be a good technology node.

Last edited:
Back