Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/samsung-exynos-9810-to-match-apple-in-performance.10027/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Samsung Exynos 9810 to match Apple in performance.

Jozo035

Next iteration of Samsung mobile SOC will be displayed next week in Las Vegas. Samsung promises new 2.9 GHz custom CPU with significantly improved pipeline resulting into 2x improvement in core performance.

With the benefits of the industry’s most advanced 10nm process technology, the Exynos 9810 will enable seamless multi-tasking with faster loading and transition times between the latest mobile apps. The processor has a brand new eight-core CPU under its hood, four of which are powerful third-generation custom cores that can reach 2.9 gigahertz (GHz), with the other four optimized for efficiency. With an architecture that widens the pipeline and improves cache memory, single-core performance is enhanced two-fold and multi-core performance is increased by around 40 percent compared to its predecessor.

Access Denied (note: link to Samsung newsroom)

Next iteration of Samsung mobile SOC will be displayed next week in Las Vegas. Samsung promises new 2.9 GHz custom CPU with significantly improved pipeline resulting into 2x improvement in core performance.

Access Denied (note: link to Samsung newsroom)

"With the benefits of the industry's most advanced 10nm process technology, the Exynos 9810 will enable seamless multi-tasking with faster loading and transition times between the latest mobile apps." :rolleyes:

My bet is still on Apple. They will have the 7nm A12 out at about the same time and I bet it runs circles around it.

And I wonder how QCOM feels about this?

Would be stunning if true. Would be compressing work Apple did over about four years in one year...
But poor Samsung — all anyone will ask about is how vulnerable it is to Spectre and Meltdown :-(

Sure, A12 will be again step forward but it look's like that difference will not be so significant as we seen in past years.

Would be stunning if true. Would be compressing work Apple did over about four years in one year...
But poor Samsung — all anyone will ask about is how vulnerable it is to Spectre and Meltdown :-(

Any hardware released in 2018 should have patch already applied. And there are claims that in desktop (probably mobile too) it will have negligible performance impact. Biggest problem are databases (20% - 50% hit expected).

"With the benefits of the industry's most advanced 10nm process technology, the Exynos 9810 will enable seamless multi-tasking with faster loading and transition times between the latest mobile apps." :rolleyes:

My bet is still on Apple. They will have the 7nm A12 out at about the same time and I bet it runs circles around it.

And I wonder how QCOM feels about this?

I agree A12 will see a good increase in performance but Samsung launches their Galaxy S9 in March while Apple launches their next gen 2018 iPhone in Sep. Thats half a generation in smartphone generation timeline. So for the time being till the next gen iPhone arrives Samsung will have a very competitive chip even in terms of ST performance. If somebody had to make a choice between a Galaxy S9 and an iPhone 8, I think the S9 will be the all round superior phone.

I agree A12 will see a good increase in performance but Samsung launches their Galaxy S9 in March while Apple launches their next gen 2018 iPhone in Sep. Thats half a generation in smartphone generation timeline. So for the time being till the next gen iPhone arrives Samsung will have a very competitive chip even in terms of ST performance. If somebody had to make a choice between a Galaxy S9 and an iPhone 8, I think the S9 will be the all round superior phone.
The iPhone 8 is a joke of a phone for a 2017 flagship with that price. Even the S8 is way better in a lot of things.

I hope the claims remain true and the power consumption is not very high.

It won't beat Apple on single thread performance - it won't even come close. Single thread performance is the only metric that really matters for mobiles.

If single core performance is going to double, then the geekbench single core will be around 4000, compared to A11 at 4200.

That would be coming very close

Back