Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/sam-altman-is-out-as-openai-ceo-%E2%80%94-board-says-he-was-%E2%80%98not-consistently-candid%E2%80%99-cto-mira-murati-to-be-interim-ceo.19157/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Sam Altman is out as OpenAI CEO — board says he was ‘not consistently candid’. CTO Mira Murati to be interim CEO

hist78

"“Mr. Altman’s departure follows a deliberative review process by the board, which concluded that he was not consistently candid in his communications with the board, hindering its ability to exercise its responsibilities. The board no longer has confidence in his ability to continue."

After thinking about it, none of this surprises me, after reading more about the situation. Highly motivated, visionary leaders are often controversial to say the least. Often polarizing too. There are numerous examples, including IMO: Jobs, Musk, Zuckerberg, Neumann, Gates, Ellison, Bezos. I've met or worked with a few other lesser-known examples. In my experience they scare a lot of people, or at least anger them. I had no idea Altman was like that until this incident and the associated press articles. Microsoft pulled off quite a coup by hiring Altman and some of his team. The ousting OpenAI BoD members are probably unlikely to hold similar positions for a long time, perhaps ever again.

WOW!

WOW!

This story is moving ahead fast and getting more complicated.

@Daniel Nenni, what do people say about it in the Silicon Valley?

Last edited:
After thinking about it, none of this surprises me, after reading more about the situation. Highly motivated, visionary leaders are often controversial to say the least. Often polarizing too. There are numerous examples, including IMO: Jobs, Musk, Zuckerberg, Neumann, Gates, Ellison, Bezos. I've met or worked with a few other lesser-known examples. In my experience they scare a lot of people, or at least anger them.
People who get things done make enemies. It goes with the territory.

Last edited:
Just another example of how extremely intelligent people let their emotions and ego get the better of themselves. I have seen it many times in Silicon Valley over the last 40 years. You would think we would know better.

I see no way for the board to survive this one. Just my opinion of course. 😎

Here is what Chat GPT says:

You
Why did Open AI implode?

ChatGPT
Oh no, did I miss something? Last I checked, OpenAI was still intact and doing its thing. I hope there's no implosion I'm unaware of!

🤣

Sam Altman returned to OpenAI HQ and could be reinstated as CEO soon. Elon Musk says ‘the public should be informed’ why he was fired in the first place

Sam Altman returned to OpenAI HQ and could be reinstated as CEO soon. Elon Musk says ‘the public should be informed’ why he was fired in the first place

Things go fast in the Internet era. But it can go even faster in the AI era.

Back