Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/rumor-tsmc-expected-to-produce-5nm-intel-cpus-in-h1-2022.13006/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/JobRunner] => 1030170
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000670
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010394
            [XF] => 2011072
            [XFI] => 1030270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Rumor: TSMC Expected to Produce 5nm Intel CPUs in H1 2022

prime007

This article was posted a day ago but caught my attention.

The original source (in Traditional Chinese) is here. Based on what I've learned & read here, it seems rather dubious but I thought it should be mentioned.

hskuo

I believe this is what tsmc "Want" and pursuing now. When tsmc announced to build fab in Arizona but not Washington(their Wafertech Hub) or NY, it shows their intension and tactics.

Daniel Nenni

Admin
Staff member
I believe this is what tsmc "Want" and pursuing now. When tsmc announced to build fab in Arizona but not Washington(their Wafertech Hub) or NY, it shows their intension and tactics.
Never underestimate TSMC. Under C.C. 's leadership anything is possible. If Intel wants to compete directly with AMD on the laptop (CPU/GPU), being on the same process with much more volume gives Intel a great advantage, absolutely.

benb

One of the key things we learned as part of COVID-19 is that the offshoring of critical production capabilities, for things like medicine, semiconductors and defense, puts the USA in a strategically vulnerable position. Said another way, it enables attackers to attack. Said yet another way, having no leading edge semiconductor production in the USA, onshore, could spark a war.

While TSMC deserves nothing but praise, there are multiple ways they could become the villain. First, if production shifts from USA to Taiwan, this strategically weakens the USA, and TSMC will be blamed. Second, there certainly will be job losses in the USA if production shifts to Taiwan, and TSMC will be blamed.

These are big issues to resolve, and I hope Intel and TSMC find a way.

Daniel Nenni

Admin
Staff member
The whole world seems to be concerned with supply issues now more than ever.

Hopefully this concern will help the US semiconductor supply chain after the election. It would be great to see Intel and others back in the leading edge foundry business. The other option would be for TSMC and/or Samsung to ramp up manufacturing in the US but remember that could be turned off at anytime.

Daniel Nenni

Admin
Staff member
Intel did spend $billions and have the time for 7nm in the us and it didn't happen.
Yes, I keep getting calls about Intel going fabless. Not gonna happen. Semiconductor manufacturing is part of Intel's DNA. Intel using TSMC to burn AMD on the low end is very possible and most likely probable.

benb

The whole world seems to be concerned with supply issues now more than ever.

Hopefully this concern will help the US semiconductor supply chain after the election. It would be great to see Intel and others back in the leading edge foundry business. The other option would be for TSMC and/or Samsung to ramp up manufacturing in the US but remember that could be turned off at anytime.
How to get $50B USD
As-Is: You are a blue chip stock with a large capital expense budget you would like to reduce.
Step 0: Create a credible threat of offshoring production
Step 1: Form an industry association, collect $5-10M in fees
Step 2: Engage McKinsey or Bain or Boston Consulting to write a report in favor of $50B federal spending
Step 3: Nothing gonna happen as long as McConnell runs the Senate, so collect more money, try to flip senate
Step 4: Democrats decide where the $50B goes. Let’s see, Oregon, check, New York check. Texas?
Result: ROI is 10,000%. Capital budget reduced from $10B/year to $3-5B.
TIC (This is capitalism)

Last edited: