Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/quantum-computing-hype-machine-getting-ahead-of-itself.7763/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Quantum computing hype machine getting ahead of itself

Quantum computing does have some interesting applications (particularly in modeling quantum problems) but the hype machine now seems to be in overdrive since IBM announced open access to their QC. Emphasis on security applications already looks dated in light of quantum-hardened encryption techniques (entanglement applications are a different story, but these are for key generation and distribution, not encryption). And there has been at least one mathematical proof that the set of problems for which QC can help is incredibly small. Not to say that some of the remaining problems might not be interesting but claims that QC will make its way into cloud computing are completely unsustainable.

IBM proclaims “the beginning of the quantum age of computing”

I agree they are massively over hyping what they currently have. David Deutsch (I'm not sure he likes the name, but often called the father of quantum computing) said on Twitter that maybe it would need to be scaled to thousands of qubits to do anything useful.

Not to say that some of the remaining problems might not be interesting but claims that QC will make its way into cloud computing are completely unsustainable.

The more I learn about QC, the less it interests me...
Time to play with neural networks and AI again I guess.

Back