Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/obsolescence-major-demand-driver.14097/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Obsolescence Major Demand Driver

Arthur Hanson

Often overlooked, obsolescence is one of the predominant demand drivers for the semi industry. As the semi world has become the major driving force for the "Great Acceleration" it is also the driving force of the "Great Acceleration" by greatly speeding up the accumulation, dissemination, and application of knowledge at an ever-increasing rate over an ever-increasing base of applications. Never in human history have we had this occur on a worldwide basis. Anyone who has bet against this has lost. I've been writing about this for many years and the depth, diversification of applications, and rate of change have only increased at an ever-accelerating rate. These factors have shown the "Great Acceleration" is not only picking up speed but creating new markets, applications, and implementations that are feeding on themselves at an ever-increasing rate. The driver of all this is in the wealth created by these new applications that are being created at an ever-accelerating rate. I see the market for semis, mems, and related technologies continue on this trend for many decades with no end in sight. Like one engineer told me when he said "Knowledge now doesn't even have the shelf life of fruit in many cases".

Back