[ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Mentor up for sale?

It would be a sad day to see Mentor carved up. A Mentor acquisition by Dassault Systemes has been rumored for years and is more likely than Siemens AG because of synergy, although Dassault has only dabbled acquiring point-tool EDA suppliers historically.

ANSYS acquiring Mentor would be quite the bold move for ANSYS, although when ANSYS acquired Apache it kind of slowed down acquiring any other EDA players for several years.

The "exploring strategic alternatives" talk just got a little more real. Mentor is apparently working with BofA to explore strategic alternatives. Siemens and Dassault are said to be potential targets.

Mentor Graphics working with Bank of America to explore sale-sources
| Reuters

By the way, it is standard operating procedure for a company to engage a banker to "explore strategic alternatives" when an activist investor gets cranky. I believe Mentor did the same thing during the Carl Ichan incident.

Ansys - maybe, maybe not. I don't see Ansys having ambitions to play in the EDA space. They are much more focussed on system-level issues. I could see them being interested perhaps in system-level components of ARM but standard EDA feels like it would be a distraction

I also think both Ansys and Mentor should consider to merger together and I believe the combined new company is able to provide comprehensive and a united suite of tools focus on the development of next electronics and mechanics products.
yanfeng

Back