Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/mass-market-device-for-diabetics.7756/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Mass Market Device for Diabetics

Arthur Hanson

This is but one of the mass market medical devices that provide a fast growing market for semis and mems. Health monitoring and active controls for the body offer a large and rapidly growing market for semis and mems and this is but one of the early first steps. In the future we'll see semis/mems in devices that actually take over biological functions where the body is failing. Many people will literally become bionic people, especially as they age. Soon, I have no doubt, we'll see active controls of body functions and have already seen devices that let the blind see. The beauty of the semi/mems world is the ability to lower costs and increase functionality at a geometric rate. Semi/mems technology is still in its infancy and will become as pervasive as common raw materials in the future. We are already seeing semis/mems have taken the first steps in almost every area of human endeavor, so the largest growth is still ahead of us, contrary to what some think.

Non-invasive device monitors diabetes using microwaves

Agreed, type 1 diabetes can certainly benefit from monitoring with a mems-based system.

Even more important than monitoring for diabetes is a policy where we should be rewarding healthy people that avoid getting type 2 diabetes in the first place. Prevention is much smarter than monitoring and managing.

Daniel, I highly recommend the book "The Blood Sugar Solution" by Hyman. Diabetes can be brought under control within weeks, besides numerous other health benefits. I'm following it to a degree even though I have no weight or diabetes problem and the increase in my quality of health has been substantial even though my diet has been far better than most and I work out every day. The increases in resolution of MRIs brought about by advances in the semi sector, combined with lower costs are changing the field of medical research dramatically. I feel we will all become bionic people in the future as we age for this will allow us to focus on prevention as cheap 24/7 compact, nonintrusive monitoring and even control devices help us stop many problems before they start. Semis/sensors/mems/radiation sources of all types and direct electrical tie ins to our body will be as revolutionary as the processor was to computation.

Last edited:
Type 2 diabetes "can be brought under control" with diet and exercise? Probably, for most (but not all) people who have it.
Type 1 diabetes "can be brought under control" ONLY with Insulin.
and MEMS won't help at all (unless it generates insulin, which is a miracle I'd love to see).

When I got Type 1 Diabetes 30 years ago, I was told that technological breakthroughs were just around the corner (5 years was what the Dr's where saying). I'm still waiting :)

BTW, the insulin pump I've been carrying for over 15 years already has a MEMS element for pushing the insulin from the reservoir into my body, so this isn't anything new.

Back