Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/japan-to-set-up-new-semiconductor-outfit-with-ibms-help.17054/page-2
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Japan to set up new semiconductor outfit with IBM's help

All true except for the statement that "IBM is more than legit in process technology". IBM's processes are not anywhere close to production ready or even feasible (similar to IMEC nodes). Samsung has to do significant legwork to adapt and rearchitect IBM's designs just to make them manufacturable (and at least for the past few gens even this hasn't been happening).

I also never really understood the purpose of this R&D. I can't imagine they drive much value from it. They are only making royalties off of Samsung, and the node that IBM "gets" isn't exactly what they designed either (preventing IBM from gaining any IDM advantages from Samsung nodes). Presumably POWER CPUs would also be better if they had the superior performance of an "equivalent" TSMC node, as well as not having to wait as long for the Samsung node to reach the maturity necessary for making their HUGE POWER systems. I saw an interview where the IBM folks were talking about how this R&D let's them "see into the future" (of semiconductors) and "design their chips around this". I am not in the design side of the business, but I don't really understand this. Are IMEC whitepapers and your own testchips/foundry partner roadmaps not enough to plan out your future architectures?
I, also, REALLY wonder what the heck IBM is still doing in semiconductor R&D when they are no longer even remotely a semiconductor company anymore.

These are the rationalizations (not really good explanations):
-Samsung needs it
-Infineon needs it
-Global Foundries needs it

Yes, but, IBM doesn't need it, so why...ideas?

I, also, REALLY wonder what the heck IBM is still doing in semiconductor R&D when they are no longer even remotely a semiconductor company anymore.

These are the rationalizations (not really good explanations):
-Samsung needs it
-Infineon needs it
-Global Foundries needs it

Yes, but, IBM doesn't need it, so why...ideas?

I thought IBM sued Globalfoundries for not applying IBM's technology to manufacture 7nm products or not moving to 7nm node at all.

Back