Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/it-isnt-a-phone-its-an-ecosystem.7802/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

It Isn't a Phone, It's an Ecosystem

Arthur Hanson

This is but one more example of the phone becoming a universal device for an ever increasing range of functions. It should no longer even be called a phone, but something more, for the functionality is increasing at a geometric rate. The current smart phones have evolved into an access point of an ever growing ecosystem and the company that masters this mindset will lead. To think of it as a phone, is to put limits on it from the start. To fully exploit the potential of this compact, powerful echo system we really need to think different out of the gate. This ecosystem present untold opportunity for creativity in the semi/mems/sensor and software industries that are literally infinite. Below is but one small example of this transition. The example below is just one of hundreds of devices and applications we'll see. I feel the sophisticated blue tooth earpiece will make it so we hardly even have to touch our interface to everything.

Stanford's whiz-bang idea to bring gold-standard urine testing to the home

PS If Apple or Adroid chose to they could become the portal for everything from travel, shopping and even acting like a mobile echo to access Amazon.

Last edited:
Here's the thing, smartphones are not going away anytime soon no matter what you wear on your wrist or face. Take a look at fog computing. The processing power of smartphones will continue to increase as applications get smarter (AI) and data collection explodes. 5G and faster WiFi is coming but we will always be bound by communications speed so it will be up to the smartphone to process data and only upload the important stuff. Health applications is a prime example. I want my smartphone to tell me as much as possible no matter what my connection speed is.

And you can bet Apple has hundreds if not thousands of people working on this. Samsung and the other smartphone vendors as well. Plus all of the third party app developers. Build a killer app that only runs on the latest iPhones and be bought by Apple for hundreds of millions of dollars, right?

Back