Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/intel-warns-ohio-factory-could-be-delayed-because-congress-is-dragging-its-feet-on-funding.16277/page-4
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Intel warns Ohio factory could be delayed because Congress is dragging its feet on funding

I'm not sure if I catched what you want to explain. A company, such as TSMC or Intel, can finance their capital investment by:

1. Operating profit and/or gains by selling assets

2. Cash flow generated by business and asset depreciation

3. Loans from financial institutions and/or selling corporate bonds or other financial instruments

4. Issuing additional shares

5. Government grants/subsidies/tax credits

TSMC or Intel can apply any combination of above methods to finance their new fabs. Debt is just one of the possible source and doesn't exclude other means and ways.
Yes, that's right, for example: https://www.spglobal.com/marketinte...t-for-expansion-pollution-prevention-62568137

I totally agree with that TSMC executive said and I believe it's highly related to cost difference.
"Extra" hard working came from peer pressure at work. Also the extra pressure to the suppliers.
Regarding hard work culture. Former TSMC COO Shang-Yi Chiang (the top guy in TSMC besides Morris Chang) had explanation in recent interview.

"Chiang: I firmly believe this is one of the really important reasons why TSMC succeeded. It's culture. If equipment went down, because equipment depreciation cost was so high, you really want to run your equipment 24 hours a day. In United States, if equipment went down, wait until next morning. The people come in at eight o'clock and probably go to fix it, nine o'clock. Yeah. But if at two o'clock in the morning, we just called the equipment engineer, "You come right away," he won't complain. And his wife won't complain. And that's the way it is. "

Wifes won't complain is important !!

Back