Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/intel-inside-now-apple-inside.13495/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Intel Inside, Now Apple Inside?

Arthur Hanson

I don't see Apple building a car, too limited a market, but I do see them becoming the leader in autonomous operating systems of all types from robotics to aircraft. The autonomous markets in everything are large enough to move the needle significantly, even for a firm the size of Apple. Because of near zero tolerance safety standards, few firms could even attempt this and Apple has the resources and supplier ecosystem(TSM and others) to pull this off. The autonomous of everything market could dwarf the market size of even the Iphone. This would set the stage for Apple to literally become the operating system for the world, for they already have the great trust by multiple markets to pull this off. Why would they want to limit themselves to cars when they could spread the cost of an autonomous ecosystem over everything, when there is no other company that could come close to pulling this off for only Apple has the recources financial, talent and ecosystem wise to pull this off.

Last edited:
Apple will be spreading their talent thin. How many corporations have failed because they're essential people left.

There's massive debt and it's looking like a repeat of 2008 for 2021.

Authorities have never been transparent with the vaccine and how it's made. in America we can't vaccinate 10% of the country and we're not being told why because on the technical side nothing has been transparent.

I don't see Apple building a car, too limited a market, but I do see them becoming the leader in autonomous operating systems of all types from robotics to aircraft. The autonomous markets in everything are large enough to move the needle significantly, even for a firm the size of Apple. Because of near zero tolerance safety standards, few firms could even attempt this and Apple has the resources and supplier ecosystem(TSM and others) to pull this off. The autonomous of everything market could dwarf the market size of even the Iphone. This would set the stage for Apple to literally become the operating system for the world, for they already have the great trust by multiple markets to pull this off. Why would they want to limit themselves to cars when they could spread the cost of an autonomous ecosystem over everything, when there is no other company that could come close to pulling this off for only Apple has the recources financial, talent and ecosystem wise to pull this off.
Arthur,
The trade press is ablaze with Apple rumors of their Titan car project, with a probable delivery date of 2024. Jumping from consumer electronics into a full-blown automotive company is too great a leap, so I agree that it's unlikely to happen, besides Apple routinely prices their consumer products at 2-3X the price of competitors, so an automotive product wouldn't make sense from an affordability viewpoint.

Operating systems for cars do have some Apple content now, but it's strictly limited to Apple CarPlay, a way to connect your iPhone to a car display (map directions, texts, music, phone calls, calendar), or unlock and start your car with an iPhone.

Buying an iPhone or iMac is one thing an icar is something else.

Two problems:
* Apple is believed to be fairly far behind companies like Google in AI
* Apple never sold any components to other companies
They can nicely package their subpar AI in their own car (just like they do with Siri) but it's hard to see them succeeding in selling a technology (as opposed to consumer product)

Arthur,
The trade press is ablaze with Apple rumors of their Titan car project, with a probable delivery date of 2024. Jumping from consumer electronics into a full-blown automotive company is too great a leap, so I agree that it's unlikely to happen, besides Apple routinely prices their consumer products at 2-3X the price of competitors, so an automotive product wouldn't make sense from an affordability viewpoint.

Operating systems for cars do have some Apple content now, but it's strictly limited to Apple CarPlay, a way to connect your iPhone to a car display (map directions, texts, music, phone calls, calendar), or unlock and start your car with an iPhone.
Daniel, I don't think Apple will build a car, but the operating system that brings autonomy, entertainment and battery controls to many makes and models of cars and other vehicles, this is a far, far bigger market with world wide potential that will be applied to almost everything as literally everything becomes automated. Never underestimate the the Apple/TSM ecosystem alliance.

I don't see Apple being able to launch a car in production by 2024 either, but who knows? If/when Apple does decide to launch a car, I think they could be successful. EVs aren't that complicated, it's the large scale manufacturing of them that's complicated, and it's mostly complicated from a logistic/supply chain standpoint - this is where Apple has a lot of strength. It's going to be easier for Apple than it was for Tesla starting out, because Apple won't have to build an EV manufacturing supply chain from scratch like Tesla did, and Apple won't have nearly as much trouble convincing suppliers to work with them like Tesla did.

It's true that Apple is weaker than Google in AI/Autonomous, but who says EVs have to be self driving? Most people I know with Tesla cars barely use the feature.

I don't see Apple being able to launch a car in production by 2024 either, but who knows? If/when Apple does decide to launch a car, I think they could be successful. EVs aren't that complicated, it's the large scale manufacturing of them that's complicated, and it's mostly complicated from a logistic/supply chain standpoint - this is where Apple has a lot of strength. It's going to be easier for Apple than it was for Tesla starting out, because Apple won't have to build an EV manufacturing supply chain from scratch like Tesla did, and Apple won't have nearly as much trouble convincing suppliers to work with them like Tesla did.

It's true that Apple is weaker than Google in AI/Autonomous, but who says EVs have to be self driving? Most people I know with Tesla cars barely use the feature.
Contract manufacturing has changed all the rules in tech and will do the same in the auto industry. Just like Catepillar sells diesel engines to numerous companies for numerous uses, Apple could use existing auto suppliers to build the car and just add their platform or reach an alliance with a current auto brand.

Additionally scale of economy is Apple's advantage and Tesla's disadvantage.

Back