Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/intel-foundry-services-stuart-penn-interview.19626/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Intel Foundry Services Stuart Penn Interview

Daniel Nenni

Admin
Staff member
On this episode of The Six Five Media – Insider, hosts Daniel Newman and Patrick Moorhead welcome Stuart Pann, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Intel Corporation Foundry Services (IFS) at Intel for a conversation about the investment and innovation happening at IFS. Their discussion covers: * Why Intel is pursuing the foundry services business * An overview of IFS, what their offerings are, and what makes them stand out from the competition * The latest on the CHIPS Act funding and other incentives #Intel #IntelIFS #foundry #semiconductor #tech #sixfivewebcast #patrickmoorhead #danielnewman

Stu says 5 nodes in 4 years is done since they taped IN a intel product (first product on 18A). from tape in on first stepping to shipping production is typically 18 months to 2 years. I think shipping product is success.... not taping in.... but thats just me. So According to Stu, No revenue product shipping on 18A until end of 2025 at earliest? Is that correct?

Stu says 5 nodes in 4 years is done since they taped IN a intel product (first product on 18A). from tape in on first stepping to shipping production is typically 18 months to 2 years. I think shipping product is success.... not taping in.... but thats just me. So According to Stu, No revenue product shipping on 18A until end of 2025 at earliest? Is that correct?

So 18A is a year ahead of TSMC N2 with revenue in 2026? That is impressive. From what I am hearing Intel 18A chips will use TSMC N3 chiplets and Intel 14A will use 18A chiplets?

They have previously stated that CWF and PNL were due to launch "in 2025". As for Stu's statement, he was talking about silicon being a key proof point of the success of 5N4Y, which I suppose. But like you the real test is not "did it tape in on time", but "did it launch on time" September 2025 is fast approaching exciting to see if intel can achieve their ambitions.
So 18A is a year ahead of TSMC N2 with revenue in 2026? That is impressive.
I didn't catch him saying external revenue in 2026. If he did say that; sounds great!
From what I am hearing Intel 18A chips will use TSMC N3 chiplets and Intel 14A will use 18A chiplets?
As in PNL will be 18A with N3 for supporting dies, and PNL next will be 14A and 18A for supporting dies?

They have previously stated that CWF and PNL were due to launch "in 2025". As for Stu's statement, he was talking about silicon being a key proof point of the success of 5N4Y, which I suppose. But like you the real test is not "did it tape in on time", but "did it launch on time" September 2025 is fast approaching exciting to see if intel can achieve their ambitions.
I didn't catch him saying external revenue in 2026. If he did say that; sounds great!
As in PNL will be 18A with N3 for supporting dies, and PNL next will be 14A and 18A for supporting dies?

Let's see what they say next week at the foundry day event.

Pulling quotes out of the talk:
Stu Pann: "We [intel=] need to be in the foundry business for scale"..."Only by being in the foundry business and offering up our technology to other people can we get the scale in the business we need"
"We're making investments in Europe and Asia" (??)
"I think we're made for AI"
"We couldn't be more excited about... our potential to really be the number two foundry player by the end of this decade"
[packaging strategy] "We came into the strategy by providing substrates and standard assembly tests to a couple of folks last year including Cisco and AWS"
[AI] "it can't be a monolithic device forever, it's going to be disaggregated [more than 1 die per package]"
"Our customers see what we're able to do in our own product line [Meteor Lake/Foveros]. They know we're credible."
"We can be a great foundry supplier through advanced packaging"
More to follow. First 7 minutes of 25.[/intel]

Back