Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/intel-foundry-direct-connect-keynote-replay.19678/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Intel Foundry Direct Connect Keynote (Replay)

Hopefully they will post the Pat and Sam Altman interview. It was entertaining!

Pat G did a Q&A with analysts and someone busted him on the 5N4Y thing. He asked Pat to define a node. Pat said if it has a double digit performance (15%) it is a new node.

In reality Intel 4 and 3 are half nodes, same with Intel 20/18A. Intel 4 and 20 only do chiplets, not full chips, right? Either way, for a foundry 3 nodes in 4 years is impressive.

TSMC does the same thing. N7 and N6 are half nodes, same as N5 and N4. TSMC reports N7 and N5 as full nodes with N6 bundled in with N7 and N4 with N5. If Intel ever reports node revenue they will need to do the same.

Yes, I'm waiting for that. For some reasons, Intel hasn't posted additional video about this Intel Foundry event.

Lets just say Pat and Sam do not have the same sense of humor. In regards to AI safety Pat asked Sam "What keeps you up at night?" Sam replied that he sleeps fine. :ROFLMAO: Sam also denied the raising $7T thing, Pat asked twice.

Personally I think TSMC sets the standard for foundry events. Intel had very loud music, a DJ, Intel dancers in fab suits, and so many cameras. It seemed to me that they were trying too hard. I realize that in the PC chip market you need the Hollywood razzle dazzle but the foundry business is different, my opinion. TSMC's Technical Forum is next. Maybe they will have dancing PDKs. :cool:

Lets just say Pat and Sam do not have the same sense of humor. In regards to AI safety Pat asked Sam "What keeps you up at night?" Sam replied that he sleeps fine. :ROFLMAO: Sam also denied the raising $7T thing, Pat asked twice.

Personally I think TSMC sets the standard for foundry events. Intel had very loud music, a DJ, Intel dancers in fab suits, and so many cameras. It seemed to me that they were trying too hard. I realize that in the PC chip market you need the Hollywood razzle dazzle but the foundry business is different, my opinion. TSMC's Technical Forum is next. Maybe they will have dancing PDKs. :cool:

At the end of keynote session, I was thinking Pat will join those dancers dressed in the bunny suits, just like Paul Otellini did with Steve Jobs.

1708652654618.jpeg

I bet tsmc will ask ChatGPT using tsmc made chips about "What keep Sam up at night?" and " Did Sam said raising $7T investment for Fabs".

I asked ChatGPT :

"What keeps Sam Altman up at night?"

ChatGPT answered:

"As of my last update in January 2022, I don't have access to real-time information about Sam Altman's personal concerns or what specifically keeps him up at night. Sam Altman, a prominent figure in the technology and startup community, has been involved in various ventures and projects over the years, including Y Combinator and OpenAI.

Given his interests and the nature of his work, it's possible that he may worry about a range of issues related to technology, entrepreneurship, AI ethics, climate change, and the societal impact of technological advancements. However, without recent statements or interviews from Sam Altman himself, it's challenging to provide specific details on what keeps him up at night at this moment.

For the latest insights into Sam Altman's thoughts and concerns, it would be best to refer to his recent interviews, articles, or public statements if available."

Hopefully they will post the Pat and Sam Altman interview. It was entertaining!

Pat G did a Q&A with analysts and someone busted him on the 5N4Y thing. He asked Pat to define a node. Pat said if it has a double digit performance (15%) it is a new node.

In reality Intel 4 and 3 are half nodes, same with Intel 20/18A. Intel 4 and 20 only do chiplets, not full chips, right? Either way, for a foundry 3 nodes in 4 years is impressive.

TSMC does the same thing. N7 and N6 are half nodes, same as N5 and N4. TSMC reports N7 and N5 as full nodes with N6 bundled in with N7 and N4 with N5. If Intel ever reports node revenue they will need to do the same.

Here is Sam and Pat's chat. I'm not sure if it's been shortened.

To be fair, TSMC hasn't achieved a Weird Al Yankovich cover yet:

"It's all about the Pentiums"

Here is Sam and Pat's chat. I'm not sure if it's been shortened.
Not much content in this clip. I don't understand how Altman became so important. After 2 years at Stanford, he founded Loopt and raised a bunch of money. Sold it for a bunch of of money. If it had never existed, it wouldn't make any difference. Ran Y-combinator for several years. Raised lots of money. Started OpenAI and invested and raised lots of money. Now he is one of the most important people in the world at age 39. Remarkable.

Definitely shortened! Seriously shortened! What is Intel hiding? My favorite part is missing. What keeps you up at night Pat asked. I sleep well Sam answered. 😂 I would say it was a 10 minute interview reduced to 2:39? It is also cut out of the video on the Intel website: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/events/ifs-direct-connect.html Conspiracy theories anyone?
There is a lot of discussion.to he had around responsibility with AI. Sam's "sleep well" comment can be interpreted a lot of ways. (Was he confident AI isn't a risk? Does he not care?)

Definitely hope to see the full interview. Sam denying the $7T comment is also very odd.

Youth has it's downsides..

There is a lot of discussion.to he had around responsibility with AI. Sam's "sleep well" comment can be interpreted a lot of ways. (Was he confident AI isn't a risk? Does he not care?)
Definitely hope to see the full interview. Sam denying the $7T comment is also very odd.
Youth has it's downsides..

I think he was being funny. Intel edited the interview because it was awkward. Pat and Sam do not have chemistry. Maybe it is the age gap? Sam is 38, Pat is 62. Or maybe Sam is software and Pat is hardware?

I think he was being funny. Intel edited the interview because it was awkward. Pat and Sam do not have chemistry. Maybe it is the age gap? Sam is 38, Pat is 62. Or maybe Sam is software and Pat is hardware?

I'm thinking what's the purpose to bring Sam Altman to this Intel Foundry event? Is he a IFS (or IF) customer, a partner, a vendor, or a celebrity to boost the conference name recognition?

From this super short 2:39 video released by Intel, I'm not sure even Intel knows it.

I realize that in the PC chip market you need the Hollywood razzle dazzle but the foundry business is different, my opinion. TSMC's Technical Forum is next. Maybe they will have dancing PDKs. :cool:
If you watch the last Qualcomm event you will see what a lack of razzle dazzle can do .. there were many nice things to talk about but it was so, so, boring and slow. Ugh.

Let the event orchestrators do their thing with Intel, and be careful what you wish for.

Sam denying the $7T comment is also very odd.
The NYT piece never attributed the $7T comment to Sam. Just a person, and up to 7. Sam likely has enough experience of the press not to want to get into the weeds on that. He deflected it effectively.

Apparently Ian was able to get a hold of Pat for an interview. Not too much new, but there were some interesting tidbits thrown in here and there. Also some more explicit metrics for what exactly constitutes as a success for some of intel's various goals.

Apparently Ian was able to get a hold of Pat for an interview. Not too much new, but there were some interesting tidbits thrown in here and there. Also some more explicit metrics for what exactly constitutes as a success for some of intel's various goals.
Interesting interview. I am surprised to know the EUV /Hi NA EUV scanner prices are higher than what I heard (intel: $250M, $400M respectively).

Last edited:
Back