Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/intel-demo%E2%80%99d-lunar-lake-20a-silicon-today.18813/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Intel demo’d Lunar Lake (20A) silicon today

Xebec

Looks like Intel demo’d a working system with Lunar Lake silicon today. The system ran Windows and a ‘tightly controlled demo’, but seems to at least indicate Intel has (decently) working 20A silicon already.

As a refresher, Raptor Lake Refresh for desktop (Intel 7) comes out in October 2023, Arrow Lake comes out late 2024. Lunar Lake is their late 2025 desktop client chip. Lunar Lake was originally to be 18A, but since Gelsinger made a comment about ‘first chips going to the 18A fab in Q1 2024’, it seems to indicate Lunar Lake will instead be on 20A.

Seems pretty impressive to me..

Intel stock down 4.3% today. Any bad news during today's presentation?
I'm not an analyst but a few items seem less than ideal to me:

- Meteor Lake U not launching until December 14th -- hinting it's both late and limited launch volume. (no mention of other higher TDP Meteor Lake SKUs, i.e. "H" skus at all)
- They mentioned Erickson picked up for 18A which may be a little less than some people were hoping to hear

I'm not an analyst but a few items seem less than ideal to me:

- Meteor Lake U not launching until December 14th -- hinting it's both late and limited launch volume. (no mention of other higher TDP Meteor Lake SKUs, i.e. "H" skus at all)
- They mentioned Erickson picked up for 18A which may be a little less than some people were hoping to hear
thanks a lot

Looks like Intel demo’d a working system with Lunar Lake silicon today. The system ran Windows and a ‘tightly controlled demo’, but seems to at least indicate Intel has (decently) working 20A silicon already.

As a refresher, Raptor Lake Refresh for desktop (Intel 7) comes out in October 2023, Arrow Lake comes out late 2024. Lunar Lake is their late 2025 desktop client chip. Lunar Lake was originally to be 18A, but since Gelsinger made a comment about ‘first chips going to the 18A fab in Q1 2024’, it seems to indicate Lunar Lake will instead be on 20A.

Seems pretty impressive to me..
Why do they pull that forward to 20A? because they want to launch it as soon as Arrow lake is?

Why do they pull that forward to 20A? because they want to launch it as soon as Arrow lake is?
Pure speculation - Could be a lot of reasons. 18A might not be ready in time for when it’s supposed to launch (2H 2025), etc. The key is Pat Gelsinger made a comment about first chips being fabricated on 18A in early 2024, which would seem to rule this out as 18A. (Anandtech and a few other news sources quote this).

The 20A wafer shown was claimed to be an Arrow wafer. No mention was made of what the Lunar lake chip was made from.
I don’t recall them talking about which SKUs were launching. Did I miss this?
They already mentioned that they were designing a custom chip for them last quarter. So I don’t see why that would cause the stock to sink now.

Back