Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/intel-ceo-earned-178-5m-in-2021-more-than-1-700-times-average-company-worker-pay-sec-filing.15781/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Intel CEO earned $178.5M in 2021, more than 1,700 times average company worker pay: SEC filing

Daniel Nenni

Admin
Staff member
In accordance with SEC rules, we are providing the ratio of the annual total compensation of our CEO to the annual total compensation of our median employee. The 2021 annual total compensation of our current CEO Mr. Gelsinger is $178,590,400, the 2021 annual total compensation of our median compensated employee is $104,400, and the ratio of these amounts is 1,711 to 1.

Pat Gelsinger Golden Gate Bridge.jpg

This pay ratio is a reasonable estimate calculated in a manner consistent with SEC rules based on our human resources system of record and the methodology described below. Because the SEC rules for identifying the median compensated employee and calculating the pay ratio based on that employee’s annual total compensation allow companies to adopt a variety of methodologies, to apply certain exclusions, and to make reasonable estimates and assumptions that reflect their compensation practices, the pay ratio reported by other companies may not be comparable to the pay ratio reported above, as other companies may have different employment and compensation practices, different types of workforces and operate in different countries and may utilize different methodologies, exclusions, estimates, and assumptions in calculating their own pay ratios. We are a global company with more than 54% of our employees located outside the US and significant manufacturing operations. As a result, our employee population is different than that of other companies.

Our median employee works in Malaysia as a full-time program manager, which is a non-technology position. For purposes of identifying our median compensated employee as of our measuring date of December 25, 2021 (the last day of our fiscal year), we used total direct compensation as our consistently applied compensation measure. In this context, total direct compensation means the applicable annual base salary determined as of December 25, 2021, the annual incentive cash target amount or commission target amount payable for service in 2021, and the approved value of the annual equity awards granted during 2021, which we annualized for all permanent employees who did not work for the entire year. To identify our 2021 median compensated employee, we then calculated the total direct compensation for our global employee population and used the foreign currency exchange rates in effect at the end of the fiscal year 2021.

As of fiscal year-end, we had 121,100 worldwide employees, and approximately 79% of our US employees’ total direct compensation exceeds our median employee’s total direct compensation.

Supplemental Pay Ratio
We are presenting an alternative pay ratio that we believe facilitates a better understanding of our CEO’s ongoing annual total compensation and better comparability. The pay ratio provided above is based on our CEO’s 2021 annual total compensation, which contained special one-time (i) new-hire equity awards including make-whole awards to replace the unvested equity awards Mr. Gelsinger forfeited as a result of his departure from his prior employer, and (ii) new-hire cash bonus.

The supplemental pay ratio excludes the non-recurring special equity awards and cash bonus to our CEO, and includes the representative ongoing intended long-term incentive equity award target value he received in 2022. For purposes of this ratio, our CEO’s 2021 annual total compensation would be $28,799,000, which when compared to the annual total compensation of our median compensated employee of $104,400, results in a pay ratio of 276:1.

Reactions: VCT
I remember when Steve Jobs went back to save Apple, he took a whopping $1 salary from Apple. I can't remember it's a monthly or yearly salary though.

One reporter asked him if it's even necessary to take this $1 salary. Mr. Jobs explained that he needs to take $1 salary in order to put his wife and children into Apple's health insurance plan.

Although Steve Jobs had several debatable/questionable behaviors and decisions, he did show us how a great leader can be on his $1 Apple salary.

So Pat Gelsinger thinks it is reasonable to ask the US government and states for subsidies whilst trousering $170m a year ? Once again, glad I'm not a US taxpayer. Or indeed a German one.

And this $170m a year is before any conclusive demonstration of technical or financial turnaround at Intel.

I remember when Steve Jobs went back to save Apple, he took a whopping $1 salary from Apple. I can't remember it's a monthly or yearly salary though.

One reporter asked him if it's even necessary to take this $1 salary. Mr. Jobs explained that he needs to take $1 salary in order to put his wife and children into Apple's health insurance plan.

Although Steve Jobs had several debatable/questionable behaviors and decisions, he did show us how a great leader can be on his $1 Apple salary
True though sort of apples and oranges. He certainly gained more than $1 in stock gains over those years..

Yes, but he earned it. There's a difference between being paid $170m and actually earning $170m.
Steve Jobs' $1 Apple salary shows us his determination, courage, and leadership. He used this action to tell Apple employees and shareholders that his single most important task is to save Apple. He will go down with the ship and rise with a better and stronger Apple.

Smart and talented employees know clearly the quality of their leaders and they will vote by their feet and hearts.

Although Steve Jobs had several debatable/questionable behaviors and decisions, he did show us how a great leader can be on his $1 Apple salary.
Yeah $1... and 5.5 million Apple shares. Let's not romanticize the dude. As far as PG income is concerned here is what they say:

For 2021, Gelsinger received a total base salary of $1.1 million. He also received a cash hiring bonus of $1.75 million.
His largest payment, making up approximately 78 percent of its pay, was $140.4 million in stock awards. Gelsinger also received $29.1 million in stock option awards.

Yeah $1... and 5.5 million Apple shares. Let's not romanticize the dude. As far as PG income is concerned here is what they say:

For 2021, Gelsinger received a total base salary of $1.1 million. He also received a cash hiring bonus of $1.75 million.
His largest payment, making up approximately 78 percent of its pay, was $140.4 million in stock awards. Gelsinger also received $29.1 million in stock option awards.
Can Pat Gelsinger (or did he) propose Intel board of directors for a $1 salary + ??? million dollar performance based stock option package?

A great leader set the tone and lead by example. Did Pat change people's perceptions about Intel and touch Intel employees' hearts with this $178.5 million compensation? I really hope he did!?

$178.5 million for a politician this is why inflation is out-of-control.

Can Pat Gelsinger (or did he) propose Intel board of directors for a $1 salary + ??? million dollar performance based stock option package?

A great leader set the tone and lead by example. Did Pat change people's perceptions about Intel and touch Intel employees' hearts with this $178.5 million compensation? I really hope he did!?
Did SJ do any of it in one year?

BK must be pretty pissed. All he had to do to elate this board of MBAs and lawyers was a bit of nationalism/sinophobia followed by a unmanned firehose of subsidized capacity expansion, nevermind how to fill that capacity with tools, experience, or wafers.

Just wait until Bernie Sanders gets wind of this. He hates successful people. And this is why I'm against politics getting involved in business. Subsidies at the state level I understand. It's called a collaboration. Subsidies at the Federal level are handouts with many many strings. Didn't we do this during the solar debacle with Obama?

Just wait until Bernie Sanders gets wind of this. He hates successful people. And this is why I'm against politics getting involved in business. Subsidies at the state level I understand. It's called a collaboration. Subsidies at the Federal level are handouts with many many strings. Didn't we do this during the solar debacle with Obama?

Outside of govt handouts what has he done? How about the successful person that makes $100k.

Outside of govt handouts what has he done? How about the successful person that makes $100k.
In general I believe progressive tax should take care of such excesses. In some news I saw it mentioned that this compensation, at least in part, was predicated on the successful hiring of high caliber people.

Am I alone in finding it incongruous that a man who never stops telling us that he has finally got his "dream job" also needs to be paid quite such a fortune for it ? And also that Intel's directors negotiated quite so well to protect shareholders funds while in full knowledge of this.

That is before considering that the only financial impact he's made so far is to increase expenses. Sales and profits are static. Intel was the worst performing top 10 semiconductor company last year (the only one which actually shrank sales in a fast growing market) - and by some distance.

Am I alone in finding it incongruous that a man who never stops telling us that he has finally got his "dream job" also needs to be paid quite such a fortune for it ? And also that Intel's directors negotiated quite so well to protect shareholders funds while in full knowledge of this.

That is before considering that the only financial impact he's made so far is to increase expenses. Sales and profits are static. Intel was the worst performing top 10 semiconductor company last year (the only one which actually shrank sales in a fast growing market) - and by some distance.

You don't generally apply for C-Suite positions and say "this is a boring job, but I think I'll do it" .. Even if the job represents stress, candidates always feign energy and enthusiasm... Pat is definitely an Intel lifer though despite his time at VMWare, and he probably is that enthusiastic about the challenge of trying to turn around this behemoth.

The board is taking a long-term play gamble with Gelsinger, and it may be the most appropriate action as the rot of Intel's impressive pro-engineering culture has been something in the making for the last 10-15 years at Intel. (There are of course tons of awesome engineers, architects, and people in general at Intel.. but starting with Otellini they started to sacrifice in this area.. IMO)

.. as for the amount of pay and when he's receiving it, that's a different discussion entirely.

So Pat Gelsinger thinks it is reasonable to ask the US government and states for subsidies whilst trousering $170m a year ? Once again, glad I'm not a US taxpayer. Or indeed a German one.

And this $170m a year is before any conclusive demonstration of technical or financial turnaround at Intel.
I think he is worth it. He is the best CEO in America. At least he is thumbing his noise at wall-street an investing Intel’s money in jobs. Google and Apple need to do the same.

I think he is worth it. He is the best CEO in America. At least he is thumbing his noise at wall-street an investing Intel’s money in jobs. Google and Apple need to do the same.
"He is the best CEO in America. "

Can you please explain it a little bit?

I think he's mainly investing other people's money - US government, Ohio, German state of Saxony-Anhalt, ...

Back