Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/intel-announced-new-ifs-leader.17651/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Intel announced new IFS leader

On the plus side he is a good friend of Pat Gelsinger.
I was hoping for someone with semi manufacturing experience, foundry experience, or even long and deep foundry customer experience. I could argue the latter is probably very important, because then you have a good feel for what IFS customers will really want.

Good to see Intel bringing in people who have driven success in other industry stalwarts such as HP, a true beacon of silicon valley.

I was hoping for someone with semi manufacturing experience, foundry experience, or even long and deep foundry customer experience. I could argue the latter is probably very important, because then you have a good feel for what IFS customers will really want.
Last November Randhir Thakur already announced resignation but he said he will wait to Q1 to make transition smoothly. One of the original plans is to finish Tower Semiconductor acquisition and let the head of Tower Semiconductor becomes new leader of IFS. But it seems the acquisition will not be successful that China would not approve it.

I'm wondering why Intel can't find someone with both business experience and advanced engineering degree (master or PhD) to lead IFS?

I'm wondering why Intel can't find someone with both business experience and advanced engineering degree (master or PhD) to lead IFS?
There are VPs in IFS who have decent engineering backgrounds, some hired from Samsung, but no one I'm aware of has ever been a foundry user, as in leading significant chip design projects which used foundries. Advanced degrees usually don't impress me much on their own. Experience and accomplishments are what really impress me. I'm just not seeing the relevant experience levels in the people I see in IFS to make me more confident they know what to do to succeed. Perhaps I'm just being too demanding.

Last edited:
We will soon find out:

"The Merger Agreement contains certain customary termination rights by either the Company or Parent, including if the Merger is not consummated by February 15, 2023, subject to two (2) three-month extensions in order to obtain required regulatory approvals."
----
So the absolute deadline is 2*3 months from Feb 15, 2023 --> Aug 15, 2023?

Could be a place holder until the Tower Semi deal closes?
Much of Gelsinger's platform is based on the fear of China's government disrupting the semi supply chain. The US government is putting a lot of pressure on China's semiconductor industry. Intel's SAMR overtures to continue investment in China will consequently ring hollow because of US government scrutiny. Consequently, I think that the CCP has more incentives to let the deal die than to approve it.

I think that Intel understands that the odds are against them and is preparing for life without Tower. I don't think that Pann returned to Intel 2 years ago just to be a lame duck IFS head for two years until Ellwanger takes over and then get shuffled elsewhere.

We'll find out by August 15, 2023.

Back