Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/intel-4-process-node-powers-ericsson-new-compute-chips.19206/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Intel 4 Process Node Powers Ericsson New Compute Chips

Maximus

Intel 4 Process Node Powers Ericsson New “AI and 5G Advanced ” RAN Compute Chips​

The interesting part about the new Ericsson silicon is the utilization of the Intel 4 process, and the images shared by Ericsson of their new silicon actually point towards the fact that the magic of IFS was used here.

The intriguing element about Intel 4 is that it hadn't seen the industry's adoption until now, and only Team Blue's upcoming Meteor Lake CPU lineup was expected to utilize it, but it looks like the process is going to make great strides at custom ASIC networking.

----
Was Intel 4 originally designed for internal use only?

" Ericsson is working with Intel as key partner for this new generation of RAN Compute products, utilizing Intel 4 technology, as the two companies continue to build on their strategic collaboration."

I think it is a mistake. I was told that Intel 4 does not have the foundation IP for a full chip (IOs) . So either Ericsson is doing chiplets or they are using Intel 3 or they have done their own foundation IP.

I think it is a mistake. I was told that Intel 4 does not have the foundation IP for a full chip (IOs) . So either Ericsson is doing chiplets or they are using Intel 3 or they have done their own foundation IP.
Intel-4-Process-Node.png

Here is an old slide from last year I think. Assuming this chip is the “custom networking ASIC” the image makes it pretty clear it is intel 4 and it looks to be a disagrigated design. Too bad we will probably never see a techinsights teardown to compare to MTL.
I don't think Ericsson is big enough for $1 Billion prepayment.
Where did the $1B number even come from. Ian mentioned it in his interview, but I don’t recall ever hearing it from intel. Also I thought intel clarified Ericsson wasn’t “the whale”, but I could be wrong. Additionally considering it is a custom chip I wouldn’t even call them a foundry customer. More similar to google IPU.

" Ericsson is working with Intel as key partner for this new generation of RAN Compute products, utilizing Intel 4 technology, as the two companies continue to build on their strategic collaboration."
The "strategic collaboration" was described as on 18A (an actual IFS node) rather than 4. So it appears they are no longer an actual IFS customer (?).

Back