Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/intel%E2%80%99s-revival-plan-runs-into-trouble.18093/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Intel’s Revival Plan Runs Into Trouble

Maximus

"In early 2022, Intel’s foundry arm sent a delegation to Qualcomm’s San Diego headquarters, where they met with CEO Cristiano Amon. Then Intel missed a June performance milestone toward producing those chips commercially. It missed another in December.
Qualcomm executives concluded Intel would struggle making the kind of cellphone chips they wanted, even if it succeeded in making high-performance processors. Qualcomm told Intel it was pausing work while it waits for Intel to show progress, according to people involved in the discussions."

----
I wonder those chips were made by Intel 3 or Intel 18A?

Qualcomm was working on 18A. I have not heard much about Intel 3 inside the ecosystem. Has Intel formally announced it is in production?

I like the mudhole reference. Very folksy:

“We didn’t get into this mud hole because everything was going great,” said Gelsinger, who took over as CEO in 2021. “We had some serious issues in terms of leadership, people, methodology, et cetera that we needed to attack.”

Interesting he used the word attack instead of change. Very alpha male.

The question has always been: Can Intel leverage their vast design, manufacturing, and packaging experience for the foundry business?

At first glance we all said yes. Intel has so much design, manufacturing and packaging experience it seems like a no brainer. Plus all of the Intel IP, right? But we really didn't know. It is one of those "time will tell' things and that time is getting close, absolutely.

"In early 2022, Intel’s foundry arm sent a delegation to Qualcomm’s San Diego headquarters, where they met with CEO Cristiano Amon. Then Intel missed a June performance milestone toward producing those chips commercially. It missed another in December.
Qualcomm executives concluded Intel would struggle making the kind of cellphone chips they wanted, even if it succeeded in making high-performance processors. Qualcomm told Intel it was pausing work while it waits for Intel to show progress, according to people involved in the discussions."

----
I wonder those chips were made by Intel 3 or Intel 18A?

Latest leak from Moore's Law says that all Arrow Lake high end products (i9, i7, i5) are using TSMC 3nm, while the low end i3/i5 are using Intel 20A. This would indicate that TSMC 3nm performs better than Intel 20A. So much for Intel leapfrogging the competition.

Latest leak from Moore's Law says that all Arrow Lake high end products (i9, i7, i5) are using TSMC 3nm, while the low end i3/i5 are using Intel 20A. This would indicate that TSMC 3nm performs better than Intel 20A. So much for Intel leapfrogging the competition.

From what I hear inside the ecosystem N3 is a VERY good node. Not much information on N2 yet but N3 will be a VERY big win for TSMC, absolutely.

Not necessarily.

Low end chips usually have smaller die sizes, while high end chips usually have large die sizes. In semiconductor manufacturing, a single defect can easily kill an entire chip, and larger die sizes are much more likely to have defects. So this could be a function of yield rather than performance.

Intel has always had good performing chips, that's not why Intel has fallen behind. It's been manufacturing high performing chips cost economically and at volume that Intel has been failing at, and that's generally been due to yield.

TSMC has gotten VERY good at yield learning and quickly driving out process defects. That's key to their success.

There is surely also a commercial angle to this as well as the technical and organisational one.

Intel's CFO David Zinsner has some interesting things to say on this at a recent analyst conference.

From what he is saying (let's assume that 18A is technically competitive), Intel themselves do not expect to be cost competitive with TSMC on 18A until they can approach TSMC's scale. Even then, there's a "cost differential in terms of geography" and some unspecified other factors weighing against Intel ("like scale and all those kind of things").

On the one hand, he's saying that the raw 18A process is cost competitive with TSMC. On the other, he's clearly saying that the cost of die delivered to customers will clearly either be higher or margins must be lower.

Has he made a convincing case that Intel can make enough money at this business, even if the technical, cultural and organisational issues can all be solved ?

Extracted from this:

"David Zinsner

Yeah. So I think as you pointed out, the 5 nodes in four years is going extremely well. Intel 7 is done Intel 4 for all intents and purposes, we can call a victory on Meteor Lake will be in that node. It's an EUV node. So I think we've proven that we can deliver on EUV performance. Intel 3 will come with Sierra Forest.

So in the first half of '24, we'll be able to show progress there as well. 20A will be a little bit more difficult to assess. But I would say right now, we are engaging with customers on the foundry side on 18A and the no better third-party validation of our process technology like an external customer that's got to put their products at risk to accept 18A wafers from us.

And so our hope is that by the end of the year, we'll be able to announce 18A customer that I think will validate 18A's performance and our ability to achieve that in the -- under the 5 node, four year calendar. The cost on 18A, just if you look at it kind of strip out like scale and all those kind of things, it's going to be extremely cost competitive with the other players in the marketplace.

Of course, there is a scale disparity. There is a cost differential in terms of geography. So when you look at it on a fully blended basis, it's not -- we're not suggesting that we would get the same level of margins as the largest player in the marketplace. But we do think just in terms of what we can -- in terms of delivering on the transistor technology in terms of delivering on what we call -- what Bradley (ph) has talked about is gate all around. We think that we will have a very competitive product offering on 18A."

Reactions: VCT
Not necessarily.

Low end chips usually have smaller die sizes, while high end chips usually have large die sizes. In semiconductor manufacturing, a single defect can easily kill an entire chip, and larger die sizes are much more likely to have defects. So this could be a function of yield rather than performance.

Intel has always had good performing chips, that's not why Intel has fallen behind. It's been manufacturing high performing chips cost economically and at volume that Intel has been failing at, and that's generally been due to yield.

TSMC has gotten VERY good at yield learning and quickly driving out process defects. That's key to their success.

Well, if 20A performed better than TSMC 3nm, then budget i3/i5 would perform better than high end i9/i7s (at least in ST). It's pretty clear that this is not the case. At best 20A is equal to 3nm.

Reactions: VCT
Well, if 20A performed better than TSMC 3nm, then budget i3/i5 would perform better than high end i9/i7s (at least in ST). It's pretty clear that this is not the case. At best 20A is equal to 3nm.
I don't think the assumptions behind this statement is true.

Think of the performance of a chip being a function of transistor performance * number of transistors (lets ignore power envelope for now). The transistor performance tends to improve a bit between node, but most of the improvement is because of density improvements (aka more transistors per unit area). So lets say Intel i3 is on 18A while i7 is on 3nm, and lets say the Intel transistors perform 1.25x better than the TSMC chips but the TSMC chips have 4x the number of transistors. You would expect the performance of the i3 chip to be 1.25*1 while the TSMC chip performance to be 1*4 aka, the TSMC chip is "performing" 3x better. This is obviously a simplified take, but I think it is illustrative.

What will be telling will be die sizes and power envelope. If the TSMC chip die size and power scale worse than one would expect for the same transistor performance, we will know that Intel 18A is indeed the better "performing" chip and vis versa.

What you say makes no sense. The amount of transistors per core is the same, because they are both the same core. Obviously, the i7 products have more cores, but I was specifically talking about single threaded performance.

As I said, my take was simplified. You could in theory have the same performing core, with the one version being smaller and under clocked.

I’m also not saying this is the case. I’m saying there is more than one possible explanation for using 3nm for higher end chips vs 20A.

Last edited:
Back