[ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Hong Kong Key to Tech

Arthur Hanson

The rule of law is key to free trade, tech and China's ability to obey the treaty they fairly and openly agreed to with Britain before the world will reflect on their government and its ability to live by the letter and spirit of the laws and agreements they enter into. So far their record in their courts on IP and government policies on Hong Kong speak for themselves. This also applies to their entrance into the WTO years back and their record of complying with regulations. Integrity and transparency are key any operation and China is fully responsible for their own record. In a world of ever increasing transparency and speed of disseminating information real time that technology has wrought, reputations can be made and destroyed faster than ever. With the tech world getting ever more complex with threats that can be buried so deep they are hard, if not almost impossible to find, the reputation and actions that people can see are more important than ever. Hong Kong and what happens their will be a window in which the Chinese can either make or break their reputation. This is why Honk Kong and what happens there will be absolutely key to the part China plays in the tech world. China has been a leading tech empire in history and I hope they can join the leaders again for the very significant contributions they can make to improve and make the world a better place for everyone.

Last edited:
Hundreds of thousands march through Hong Kong in largest protest for weeks

Hong Kong is a financial hub and China is writing some very big checks. China is also writing some very big checks in Taiwan. As long as China is financially strong they are a threat to the islands independence, absolutely. I doubt military action will come into play in either HK or TWN but we shall see. It sure is interesting times. I will be in HK and China next month. It will be interesting to hear the word on the street versus what is playing out in the media.

Any military threat to Hong Kong or Taiwan would be also be considered a threat to Japan, South Korea and many other countries near by. China has made territorial claims clear up to the beaches in the Philippines and many other sphere of influence claims that border on the ridiculous. War and conflict are bad for business. Unexpected technological disruption is where the big pay offs are and should be the main goal of empires around the world. Never has there been so much opportunity in so many areas for so many people. If we could figure a way to divert resources to better use, everyone could benefit greatly. A great place to start would be to eliminate failing prohibitions on national levels and then work towards policies promoting new forms of training people at high speed and low cost. Creating opportunity for all is where the world's energies should be going. Welfare and warfare how they are handled now are huge wastes of human and capital resources. Free trade and flow of information combined with a fair, transparent and open IP system should be where our efforts should be directed. Special interests will fight this and this is where any conflict should take place. Ignorance is wasteful and deadly. The US has too many people in prison for drugs less harmful than alcohol and other victimless crimes. When industries are made illegal, by definition are handed to the criminals at huge cost compared to other solutions. The same is true of military action. Law enforcement and militaries have much to learn and wisdom will be required. It is especially galling when these groups create conflict and want to be called heroes by adhering to failing, destructive policies.

I truly hope China will surprise us with wisdom, creativity and humanity in ways even others would want to emulate. I have no doubt the Chinese have much knowledge and wisdom that could be put forward in ways that would benefit not only them, but the world around them. I hope the Chinese decide to win us over with solutions instead of conflict. Wisdom and humanity will be required by all.

Last edited:
Back