Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/governments-experts-at-wasting-money-stay-out-of-semis.16710/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Governments Experts at Wasting Money, Stay out of Semis

Arthur Hanson

Whether its China, the US or many other governments, they are experts at wasting money, whatever projects they are working on. Governments don't have the threat of going bankrupt as easily and due to their structure, almost everyone can deny responsibility. Private US space companies are an ideal example, doing what NASA does at a fraction of the cost. It is far better for government to remove barriers and let the private sector do the heavy lifting. When the government is involved, regulations and special interests kick in, as we have seen in US medical with some of the world's highest costs and lowest quality. Both China and the US are better off letting evolution take place in economics, where failure is allowed, and success is rewarded. Let the Darwinian world exercise its efficient survival of the fittest to produce results.

Not that I disagree with you, but TSMC and Samsung are (or were) both funded in part by their governments. Unfortunately, I don't recall where I read about it so I can't give you a link.
Intel is also funded by Israel's government. Link: https://www.anandtech.com/show/12774/intel-discloses-plans-to-spend-5-billion-on-israeli-fab-28
Those are just the few examples I can think up, there are more I'm sure.

Now I ask you, can semiconductor companies compete effectively without government funding or tax breaks?

Not that I disagree with you, but TSMC and Samsung are (or were) both funded in part by their governments. Unfortunately, I don't recall where I read about it so I can't give you a link.
Intel is also funded by Israel's government. Link: https://www.anandtech.com/show/12774/intel-discloses-plans-to-spend-5-billion-on-israeli-fab-28

Now I ask you, can semiconductor companies compete effectively without government funding or tax breaks?

Yes, if the playing field is level, but when one company gets government funding, tax breaks, free land, etc... The others will have a problem competing. From what I understand Intel, TSMC, and Samsung all get tax breaks etc... from governments so the playing field is leveling out. I do believe however that Samsung and TSMC have a much lower cost at home than in the US.

Yes - they certainly can. TSMC had only a 21% shareholding from the Taiwanese Government when they started in 1987. The Intel Israel (and Dublin) investments were simply one off incentives to influence new Fab locations. The value would be approx 1% of the company market capitalised value at the time. The point is, Government owned (or significantly owned) Fabs have by and large been disastrous.

Answer is no.

Like a lot of companies likely milk the tax payer to get themselves into an advantageous position and then cast the tax payer and the public adrift

Back